lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-28-2015, 10:27 AM   #1
reggie dunlop
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Looking for some tech assistance

Hi all,
New to the cart world ,and to this website,and I am still floundering.

I have been perusing this site and I am amazed at the amount of people that are into these carts,and even more amazed at the number of people interested in helping others.With that said ,here goes.

I have a 2007 480 Workhorse that I am attempting to do some maintenance on.I have several questions.
I am looking to adjust the valves.I have a 16 horsepower Briggs and Straton motor v-twin.I did buy a service manuel for the cart but that is not covered in the manuel.I have attemped for several hours and I have recieved several opinions.I am let to believe that .5 is the correct gap,but I have also recieved several other opinions.Can anyone give me the correct skinny?

I have also been having a belt issue.At times I hear a loud squeal and the cart shudders as the drive belt slips.This is a new belt,but as a attempt to find the issue,I bought another new belt to make sure the belt was not worn out.The belt is exactly like the belt I have so that is not part of the problem.

I read somewhere that a stiffer spring in one of the clutches could help give more torque at the low end,and that is what I am looking for in that regard.I do a lot of off road work and better power is what I am looking for.I do not need a fast top end.
I bought a clutch puller and thought I would start there.I am not sure if there is a need to,but if needed I can do so.

Right now, I am interested in just getting the cart to drive without the added sound effects.Can some give me a few pointers?

Thanks,Reggie
reggie dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-28-2015, 11:04 AM   #2
StoveBolt
Gone Wild

Default Re: Looking for some tech assistance

Know nothing about the 480s but someone here might help..

or this..

E-Z-GO ST 480 Service Manual

http://www.manualslib.com/manual/416...Go-St-480.html
StoveBolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 11:41 AM   #3
Diceman1530
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

it would be .005 not .5
Diceman1530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 01:07 PM   #4
reggie dunlop
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks diceman,thats one of the problems I had back in grade school.Me and math did not get along.
I did try to use the manual, however they state I should refer to the briggs and Stratton repair manuel for the valve clearance.
(They were nice enought to include the part number for the engine manual)if I choose to purchase it.

Any idea regarding the clutch? I am of the opinion after reading the manual that the driven clutch should be able to turn without the belt on it.I believe it states that when removing it you should be able to turn the one sheeve and it should back up the ramp.I cannot do that while it is on the shaft.I just attempted to so so and it only moved a very short turn before binding.Is that normal?
Old 08-28-2015, 04:34 PM   #5
sccowboy
It ain't gonna be easy.

E-Z-GO

Have a look at this site.... http://krisdillon.com/buggy/

It should give you a better idea about the driven clutch. The ramp buttons could be worn out or totally gone. Now you can jack up the rear of the cart and take the belt off. Turn the wheels and see if anything is binding. Then pull the driven and clean/inspect. Just a couple of thoughts.
sccowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 05:30 PM   #6
reggie dunlop
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks SCCowboy,

I just got done doing some service on this cart and took the time to jack up the rear of the cart.Without the drive belt on, the drive clutch snaps open with a nice crisp snap and goes through the open and close cycle without any issues.
I put the drive belt back on the cart and started it up.Again the drive clutch did as before without any issues.The driven clutch went through its cycle,however the belt failed to return all the way back to the top of the pulley.The drive clutch opened all the way up to the top of the pulley,and the driven clutch went all the way down to the bottom and did not return to the top of the pulley.Would that be enough to cause the slipping and shudder that I have at times?
I reviewed the attached link regarding the spring upgrade.That sounds interesting,however what he is looking to do is get more low end torque,and adjust the shift RPM.More torque would be nice,however I am not sure that will solve the slipping issue I have.If I have a slipping problem at start speed,adding more torque would make that worse,would it not?
Old 08-29-2015, 07:13 AM   #7
sccowboy
It ain't gonna be easy.

E-Z-GO

Measure the belt width. Should be 1 3/16", any more narrow and it will slip under a load.

Also read this: http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/ezgo-...en-clutch.html
sccowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 06:41 PM   #8
reggie dunlop
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I am just getting around to this project. I pulled off the driven clutch, and that was no small feat, and I found that the entire unit was seized onto the shaft. It took some time to get the two sheeves apart. When I pulled the unit apart the three nylon ramp buttons were worn thru and the metal had started to wear. I filed the ramps smooth and replaced the buttons. I also replaced the spring with a heavier spring. When I removed the spring that was in the clutch it had a prong on each end.The heavier spring did not.That made it very hard to load the clutch 130 % as was instructed. I am not sure how the spring would remain loaded if there is no way to keep it from turning within the two pieces. If anyone can shed some light on that I can use all of the help I can get. When I put the cart back in use the difference was huge. I have a much lower speed to start off and yet when I keep my foot on the throttle the and keep the rpm the same the speed builds up to where is was with the weaker spring. Now it will climb like a mountain goat.
If anyone can give me some information regarding loading the spring it would be appreciated.Thanks for all the help.
Reggie
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO