lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-22-2015, 07:20 PM   #1
Photos by Red
Not Yet Wild

Default 87 Marathon carb flooding issue

I have a 87 Marathon with the 2PG engine and for some reason it keeps flooding itself.
Background - I bought this cart a month or so ago, it ran ok. It has more or less quit on me. I recently purchased and installed new fuel filters, air filter and spark plug. Carb rebuild kit and a new solenoid. Upon working on the carb and re-installing, the engine is flooding itself out and I am looking for help here.
Thinking that there may be bad gas in the tank, I separated the fuel line before the filter and ran a hose to a fresh 128:1 fuel cell. The engine will fire and try to start, it would sputter and never reach a strong rhythm. Fuel would start spewing out the overflow hose that is on the carb. After removing the carb twice and adjusting the float, I have stopped the fuel overflow from happening, but it is still flooding out. The fuel pump is working as I can watch the fuel get sucked out of the secondary cell and I can see fuel moving thru the filters, and there is raw fuel coming out to the muffler. Everytime I take the spark plug out to check it, it has plenty of spark as the motor turns over.
The choke is set properly, wide open, replaced the needle and seat as well as the other parts in the carb.
As the cart runs out of gas, it will take off momentarily and run like it should. As soon as I put the hose back in the secondary cell, it immediately sputters out and dies.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Perhaps I still have something out of adjustment?
I have learned a lot already by reading the different topics posted in here. Thanks in advance for your knowledge.
Photos by Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-23-2015, 07:54 AM   #2
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 87 Marathon carb flooding issue

Start here. http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-e...fuel-pump.html
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 12:09 PM   #3
Photos by Red
Not Yet Wild

cart around - I have a couple of buddies helping me with this and that was the exact recommendation this morning, after having pondered the situation overnight. I have ordered a new fuel pump and I believe that for piece of mind, I am going to take off the existing fuel pump and open it up for a look at the inside.

Thanks!
I'm roughly a 5 on your scale
Old 10-23-2015, 05:30 PM   #4
Photos by Red
Not Yet Wild

Took the fuel pump apart this afternoon, sure enough, the bottom diaphragm had a tear in it. Now just waiting on the new pump to arrive via UPS.
Old 11-06-2015, 05:50 PM   #5
Photos by Red
Not Yet Wild

Ok, I'm back. I gave up on the cart repair for a bit. Anyways, after fashioning a new diaphragm McGyver style because I was impatient waiting on the new fuel pump to arrive, and several adjustments to the float in the carb, eventually putting the old needle and seat back in as the new needle was a bit longer than the old and was affecting the action of the float, I, with some help was able to make the cart run again so I took it home, put it in the garage and the new fuel pump which arrived the next day has finally been installed.
This afternoon in addition to installing the new fuel pump, I removed the carb and the intake, which allowed me to see I believe the "reeds". They appeared to be in good shape. I cleaned everything up good with some Brake Kleen and put everything back together.
It starts and runs okay now, but I can't help but wonder if it could run a bit better.
With the new drive belt I actually lost about 4 mph. Could this be possible because the new belt is technically "shorter" than the old worn out belt. What I mean is the new belt is noticeably wider than the old so could this be affecting the clutch performance - opening / closing less as the old belt being narrower would have fit better in the clutches, simulating a longer belt (or am I seriously messed up in thinking this way)?
And final question - There is a small adjustment screw on the side of the carb. I ran it in snug and backed it out 1.5 turns. Is this the proper adjustment? Should it be more or less?

Your wisdom and experience is appreciated.
Old 11-07-2015, 08:50 AM   #6
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Yesterday, I managed to destroy my laptop with all of my golf cart files.

Go to the 2nd post of this thread, and download the 85 manual. It's the same.
You will find that there isn't a whole lot to adjust on the carburetor.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-e...ml#post1215343
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 10:26 AM   #7
Photos by Red
Not Yet Wild

Cart Around - Thank you for the link to the manual. Looking thru it - the proper "set" of the pilot air screw is 1 Full turn. I have mine set at 1.5 turns, so I will set it at 1.0 turn and see what happens.

I am really appreciative of the forum, lots of great information and ideas being shared here.
Old 11-07-2015, 05:22 PM   #8
Photos by Red
Not Yet Wild

I adjusted it to 1 full turn out, got the engine warmed up and went down to the corner and back. It seems to have made the engines performance a bit more sluggish.
When I get some more time, I will make a series of adjustments with the screw trying each one in turn and see if I can find the "sweet spot"
One way or another I'll get this thing figured out.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO