lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-21-2016, 02:47 PM   #1
Tionesta Jeeper
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 81 marathon engine choice

just need a simple solution here, i have a gutted 81 marathon that was a gas model and i have an 11hp vanguard motor i would like to put in reverse isn't a problem just need it to work for now. I have made a cradle plate that is 1/4 steel so bolting anything should not be an issue. just looking for a simple solution or am i in to far? just going for a camp runner on dirt roads only.
Tionesta Jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-21-2016, 03:03 PM   #2
roady89
nimda
Club Car

Default Re: 81 marathon engine choice

People do that all the time....well...I say that but its usually the later 2 stroke with the clutch parallel with the frame. Theres no reason it wont work unless it physically wont fit. You'll need FAB skills. Like you said you'll have no reverse UNLESS you get a later model 4 stroke gas rear transaxle.

I have also seen folks use an electric motor for reverse. You could find a golf cart starter/generator to do that. Fab up the brakets etc and have reverse.
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 03:34 PM   #3
Tionesta Jeeper
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

so a simple jackshaft could work for rotation
Tionesta Jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 04:19 PM   #4
my1423
Gone Wild

For the proper rotation The clutches need to face forward. Pull start to the rear.
They sell on ebay the comet 30 series tav2 clutch set with mount.
These use a small belt and it will eat them but you can get replacements about anywhere. Also small and do not have as wide a gear range.
Pretty much a bolt on solution. You will need a small shaft and 2 u joints and couplers to attach it to you pinion. It you play with the engine mount alot and get the crank at the same angle as the pinion you could use a chain coupler.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GO-KART-TORQ...0AAMXQhpdRu8ep

If you dont mind spending a little more upgrade to bigger clutches and bigger belts.
Or use your old ones and fab up a bearing carrier ect.
Stock drive clutch get a tapered shaft adapter from Vegas carts.

Or put all the stock clutches in the original spots and place the engine on the right side and run a jackshaft to hold the drive clutch with a chain on the engine to the jackshaft.
my1423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO