lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-18-2016, 07:51 AM   #1
Gwen
Getting Wild

Default 83 EZGO cranks, wont start

Ok, well a little history.. I have a 83 body with a 79 motor. I have had this cart for a few years now, when I bought it used it was running until I brought it home where it ran for about 15 minutes and stopped running. Since then I have rebuilt the entire engine, changed out the carb, fuel pump, starter, added a Mr. Gasket external gas pump, rewired the entire cart and added an HEI module. It was running last year and at the end of the 'season' it just stopped running, I didn't want to mess with it anymore but got it out again yesterday and this is what happens.. when I press down on the pedal it acts like it wants to start and then just cranks and cranks, when I let off on the pedal right before it makes contact on the switch again it wants to 'go'. I pulled the spark plug and put in an inline spark tester. It gives me the same as what i suspected, when the pedal is just depressed it sparks and just before I let up totally on the pedal it sparks again, but doesn't spark at all when the pedal is pressed all the way down. Could this be a bad switch? Can they go bad? I hate to buy anymore parts to test theory's as I am already way over my budget on this.

thanks. Gwen
Gwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-20-2016, 07:57 AM   #2
Gwen
Getting Wild

Default Re: 83 EZGO cranks, wont start

Well, since I don't have any replies to this I am guessing no one knows So now I want to know if anyone has an '83 that can send me a pic of what your accelerator micro switch looks like . I can't remember how to attach an image here but if I do I will post one of mine.. hopefully I can get it out of the cart soon.. the bolts are frozen from 33 years of being in the cart!
Old 04-20-2016, 09:46 AM   #3
Ron Benedict
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Can you jump around the switch?
Ron Benedict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 10:29 PM   #4
Gwen
Getting Wild

I don't know how to jump around the switch. I did get it out and this is the number that is printed on the side BZ-2RDS-A2-S. It seems I can find these but they have 3 posts where mine only has 2. Any ideas?
Old 04-21-2016, 07:49 AM   #5
Ron Benedict
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Just hook the two wires together to jump the switch but I doubt that is the problem.
Old 04-21-2016, 09:40 AM   #6
Gwen
Getting Wild

ok, when you say hook the two wires together to jump the switch do you mean the two wires that came off the switch? I should hook them together and see if it works? sorry to sound dense but I'm a newbie at this stuff. Any other idea of what you think could be the problem? thanks.
Old 04-21-2016, 04:33 PM   #7
Ron Benedict
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Yes the two that came off the switch. That is really all the switch does is connect and disconnect them.
I am more inclined to think your problem is in the ignition system.
You can download a wiring diagram at Vintage Golf carts.
Old 04-21-2016, 05:10 PM   #8
my1423
Gone Wild

1. A 79 should be point ignition with an internal starter generator.
Does your engine have these or not? Post a picture.
2. 1 spark in starting and one in stopping is usually an ignition issue. Bad module.
Do you have a timing light?? Hook it up and verify 2 sparks only.
Do you have a test light? Hook it up to the coil and verify you have power to the coil when you press the pedal.
3. How did you wire the hei? Did it run afterward? Post a picture?
Is there a heat sink with compond to transfer heat mounted to the module?
Modules get hot and go bad if the heatsink is not proper. Also they can burn up in seconds if not mounted to one.
4. After it sit a year did you drain the gas and clean the carb? Gas goes bad after several months and gums things up.
my1423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 08:49 PM   #9
TomStark
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

OK, the micro switch with 3 wires is NC and NO. (normally closed and normally open). NC means the wires are connected all the time, and when the switch is activated it makes breaks connection, and NO means they are not connected and when the switch is activated they are connected.
I guess the carts use NO switches, and as has been mentioned here it is not likely to be your issue.
To post pictures here scroll down the page and just under "Additional Options" is "manage attachments" click on that and I am sure you can figure out the rest.
I have included a pic of my HEI module on a heat sink. Easy test procedure for your module:
You need power to the module, so on a cart the easiest thing would be to run a jumper lead from the + post of the battery to the battery connection on the module. Then take off the pick up coil wires from the module. Have your spark plug out and grounded with the plug wire on. (oh, make sure your coil has power also! Carts as so different than cars!) Then lick your index finger on each hand, put one on the + post of the battery, and the other finger touch the 2 posts that the pick up coil was attached to. When you do that, the plug should fire. If it fires every time you do that, the module is fine. If it does it intermittently, or not at all, then the module is an issue, and hopefully the only one!
Tom
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hei module.jpg (243.9 KB, 0 views)
TomStark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 09:44 PM   #10
Gwen
Getting Wild

Thanks Ron, I tried putting the two wires together and that didn't seem to change it. I did notice while I was doing it that it was sparking when I was messing with the key. So this led me to believe maybe it's something wrong with the ignition as you said. The ignition has always been a little touchy. So maybe that has something to do with it as well.

My1423, mine is an 83 (with a 79 motor), it has a separate starter/generator (which I also replaced) but it still has the points. I did replace the points but with all the problems I still had to it I did the HEI mod. I used the compound that came with the module and mounted it to a large piece of aluminum so as to act as a heat sink. It did work after I did that install. I don't have any pics now and it's dark outside (also rainy) but I can try (if I can remember how) to post them tomorrow. I do have a timing light but I have been using a spark checker light, that plugs in between the spark plug and the coil. It does show spark just when I push down on the pedal and then when I let up on the pedal, which is what you are describing as an ignition problem. Is there anyway to bypass/check this without buying a new part first?

It didn't actually sit a year, more like 6 months and I didn't drain the gas or clean the carb. It is doing exactly the same thing as it did when I parked it however so I am not sure that would help it..
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO