lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-28-2016, 08:19 PM   #1
bquick
Not Yet Wild

Default 89 ezgo wont stay running

so I took this cart in on a trade. It runs really good for about 150 to 200 feet then starts sputtering like its out of gas. I replaced the fuel filter and lines chkd the pick up tube took the carb totally apart and cleaned it all,took the pump off cleaned it and inspected the diaphrams the pump puts out a good amount of fuel when you crank it over. I replaced the gas cap also. when it does this it still has excellent spark but the plug will be dry after cranking it for a short time. if I let it set for about 10 mins it will go another 150 to 200 ft..
bquick is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-29-2016, 09:03 AM   #2
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 89 ezgo wont stay running

Maybe a clogged exhaust building back pressure.
cart around is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 03:59 AM   #3
bquick
Not Yet Wild

Ok so I have tried about everything on this cart. Barbecued the exhaust and even done a top end rebuild and it still does the same thing. I did notice when j took the carb apart to clean it that the needle valve did not attach to the float in any way. Should it have a spring on it so the float pulls it down when the bowl gets empty or or does it jus drop from gravity when the float drops?
Old 05-19-2016, 05:05 AM   #4
Barnsworth
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

The needle valve will just drop when the float moves, there isn't any sort of spring. When you have the bowl off the carb just make sure when you move the float with your hand the needle valve moves freely and doesn't stick.
Barnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 06:32 AM   #5
sccowboy
It ain't gonna be easy.

E-Z-GO

Does the bottom of the main valve have a T shape or "slot"so to speak? Does the inside of the float have a little "fork"? If so, then the T shaped end of the valve should slip into the fork on the float so that as the float drops, it pulls the valve down with it. It has been so long since I dealt with an 89 carb that I can't remember its float design. Just throwing it out there for your consideration. Good luck.
sccowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 10:56 PM   #6
JeffHWV
Not Yet Wild

Shot in the dark here, but had a similar problem on my nephew's Badger. About drove me crazy over two years. Two other guys "fixed" it. Finally figured out that mud daubers plugged up the vent line on the carb. Was building up vacuum in the carb bowl and wouldn't allow it to draw gas through the the jets. Let it sit a while and vacuum would bleed off and run okay. Make sure your carb bowl is venting properly to the atmosphere.
JeffHWV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 04:20 PM   #7
bquick
Not Yet Wild

So I messed with it more today.. this cart is gonna be the death of me...lol.. it ran great and then done the usual crap. I pulled the hose off the the air box and sprayed gas in it from a spray bottle. I kno it had to get to the cylinder bcuz it will suck ur hand up to the intake when u crank it over. Pulled the plug still had fire when I grounded it to the top of the head. Is it possible that this cheap champion plug is not firing in the cylinder when it gets warm but will still fire when grounded to the head?
Old 05-25-2016, 12:57 PM   #8
bquick
Not Yet Wild

Well I was reading other threads and seen that other ppl have had this problem also. Sooo. I felt the coil when it died and it was still cool so the nxt step was to see if it was losing fire when it died and the only method I had for that was stupidity. The fire will knock ur butt off until it dies and then nothing until you let it set for few seconds. The longer you let it sit the longer it will keep fire. Bad coil? Bad voltage regulator? Strongly considering doing the hei coil swap.?? Any thoughts?
Old 05-25-2016, 04:21 PM   #9
Steelerboy27
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I'd start with the coil then igniter.......
Steelerboy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO