lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-08-2016, 04:06 PM   #1
twobore
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default G1 exhaust roar - how I reduced mine

My G1 engine had an ear splitting exhaust noise. I took a length of vinyl tubing and, using it like a stethoscope, listened around all the exhaust joints, muffler seams, etc I could reach. When I stuck it under the Exhaust flange between the engine and muffler (the exhaust pipe that contains the butterfly valve - Yamaha parts list’s call this a Nut, Ring) - I not only found the source of my noisy exhaust but got hit with a blast of air from the hose to confirm it. I removed this part and discovered a sheet metal cup that is a press fit onto a cast stud on the exhaust flange (see arrow in Pic 1). The cup had vibrated loose and was allowing significant exhaust leakage , causing my Harley like exhaust roar. Inside the exhaust flange there is a circlip at the bottom of the shaft that rides on the seal held in place by the sheet metal cup (it’s on top of the washer in Pic 2 - I added the bottom, larger washer). Unfortunately the circlip is smaller than the inner diameter of the shaft so when the cup loosened, it allowed the whole works (cup, seal, circlip) to drop until the butterfly valve bottomed out allowing massive exhaust leakage.

To solve this problem, I added the larger washer inside with the circlip riding on top of it (Pic 2). Now the assembly can’t drop down even if the cup should loosen. But to make sure the cup does’nt drop, I added the two small washers at the bottom of the shaft (Pic 1 & 2).

I kept trying different washer combinations until everything fit snuggly without binding. I also replaced the two original M3 x .5 phillips head screws with stainless steel cap head (allen style) screws and locktited them in place.

This solution cut my exhaust noise in half. I’m a much happier camper.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg exjaust1.jpg (88.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg exhaust2.jpg (80.7 KB, 0 views)
twobore is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-09-2016, 07:18 AM   #2
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: G1 exhaust roar - how I reduced mine

sounds like it would have been easier to just pull the valve out and weld the hole shut
Spicyunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 11:55 AM   #3
twobore
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Probably. But I’m trying to get everything back to factory spec before I diddle with any modifications. Essentially create a baseline to measure mods against.

The reason I posted this is because so many people have complained on these forums about their noisy G1 engine exhaust and I think, in some cases, their noise could be caused by this same problem.

The sheet metal cup, pressed onto the stud, in a high heat, high pressure, high vibration environment with the shaft in constant motion is a very poor design. It is practically designed to fail. When it vibrates loose, gravity drops the cup and the seal a quarter inch or so allowing a massive exhaust leak.

At any rate, it’s simple to check this point with a length of tubing and then either eliminate it as a source of the loud exhaust, or, if it is leaking decide whether to fix it, as I did, weld it up as you suggest, tap it and plug it with a bolt, or use some other solution.
Old 05-10-2016, 07:52 AM   #4
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobore View Post

The sheet metal cup, pressed onto the stud, in a high heat, high pressure, high vibration environment with the shaft in constant motion is a very poor design. It is practically designed to fail.
It's good enough to last 20+ years! That part prob hasn't been touched since it was originally assembled in the 80's, not sure what year your cart is. Nice write up though. Yeah most of us remove that butterfly and weld it up. I think that valve didn't do anything but act like an exhaust brake when decelerating.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 12:28 PM   #5
twobore
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Actually, the butterfly valve is crucial to the G1’s oil delivery system (for those that are still using it). It modulates the intensity of the exhaust “puffs” that are fed back from the exhaust jet sensor to the oil pump diaphragm and is the reason the pump delivers 300:1 oil/gas ratio at low rpm increasing to 150:1 at high rpm.

I’ll probably remove mine eventually but I’m just anal retentive enough to enjoy the challenge of trying to get everything working first and go from there. Hey, it’s a hobby, sort of.

Right now,as I mentioned on another post elsewhere in this forum, I’m running on a premix while directing my oil pump output into a container. I’ll compare this against the measured amount of fuel I’ve consumed and it should give me an average (somewhere around 200:1+, I’m guessing, since I’m usually running flat out). I’ll let the forum know how this works out.

BTW, my G1 is a 1983 model year.
Old 05-12-2016, 04:27 PM   #6
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 01:09 PM   #7
murrman26
Not Yet Wild

Did the 79 motors come with exaust valve ?

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk
murrman26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha