lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-22-2016, 07:29 PM   #1
csharuki
Not Yet Wild

Cool Starter doesn't crank on compression stroke

Aloha! I'm relatively new to this forum and this is my first post. I've searched the web high and low for a solution to my problem. I'm hoping someone here has some insight to this problem.

2002 Yamaha gas golf cart (G21?). Problem is the starter doesn't have enough power to turn the motor over while it's on the compression stroke. It just make a humming noise. If I rotate the engine so it's not on the compression stroke, the starter turns and the engine starts right up. So far I have changed the battery, starter/generator, solenoid, voltage regulator, added new ground leads to the engine, chassis and battery. I'm stumped at this point

Is there something I'm missing?
csharuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-22-2016, 10:02 PM   #2
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Starter doesn't crank on compression stroke

Pull the seat up and look at it they make a "humming" sound when the starter pulley is slipping might just need the starter tightened up on the belt
Spicyunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 09:01 AM   #3
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Double check that the battery is healthy and fully charged. Good luck - RAY
bigstik40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 03:27 AM   #4
csharuki
Not Yet Wild

Thanks Spicyunicorn and bigstik40. It does make a humming sound, however the pulley is not turning so no slippage occurring. It's a new 700 CCA Interstate battery from Costco. Voltage reads 13 with no load but when I go to start it, it drops down below 9.6. In fact on several start attempts, it drops down to 6.0 and 5.0. Shouldn't it stay above 9.6? All the cells have water. Could I possibly have gotten a bad battery or is something drawing too much current?
Old 06-27-2016, 07:42 AM   #5
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

It should not drop to 9 I would start with checking all connections especially the grounds
Old 06-27-2016, 07:43 AM   #6
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Fully charge your battery and load test it that will also tell you if it's a bad battery
Old 06-27-2016, 12:58 PM   #7
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I'm with spicyunicorn here. If your battery is not fully charged, a stalled starter will draw a lot of current and drop the battery terminal voltage a lot. Give it a try after fully charging. That "new" battery may have been sitting on the shelf a while. - RAY
bigstik40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 01:50 PM   #8
icyveins
Gone Wild

Yamaha

ground issue
icyveins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 09:29 PM   #9
csharuki
Not Yet Wild

I took the battery to my auto mechanic today for a load test. Held at 10 volts under load so he said battery is good. I suspected ground wire issues too as this cart's chassis is pretty rusty. I added ground wires from battery to chassis, chassis to engine block, I even tried using my big jumper cables AND also tried jump starting it with my truck.

This is my dad's friend's cart which they summoned me to take a look after 3 other mechanics already tried. I'm not a professional mechanic myself although I've done my engine swaps, etc. and am a avid DIY. Unfortunately, this one got me stumped.

So just to reiterate, I've tested everything I could think of on this cart, microswitches, continuity, rebuilt then changed the Trombetta solenoid, starter/generator, battery, voltage regulator, cleaned the carburetor, new air cleaner, spark plug and fuel filter. Some of these parts are not related to the current problem but I thought I had it figured out after bench testing the old starter and found it to be weak, I order a new one and while waiting for that to arrive, went ahead and changed all the maintenance parts. Needless to say, I was very disappointed when the new starter didn't fix it.
Old 06-27-2016, 10:25 PM   #10
SandbaggerYDRA
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Obviously there is not enough voltage to turn the starter to overcome the load of the engine during compression (Shouldn't there be a compression release cam?)

I'm curious where you measured the voltage when it dropped below 9 volts. Did you measure it directly at the battery terminals, or somewhere else? If at the battery, there is one hell of a current draw there to bring a new battery to its knees like that (shouldn't that pop a fuse somewhere?), and I would suspect a short in the starter windings. If you are measuring it elsewhere then you have a high resistance somewhere in the cabling. Walking the voltage measuring points from the starter back to the battery should show where the resistance is located. At one point the voltage will be low, and the next point it will jump up. The cable bridging those two measuring points will be the one with the resistance. Common causes of resistance is corrosion on connections, or poor connections in crimp connections etc.
SandbaggerYDRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha