lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-10-2017, 08:21 AM   #1
Bryanhiggins
Not Yet Wild

Default Yamaha G1

Hi I just got a G1 I think ,I say that I have not found any numbers on the cart.I'm just going by body style. It's a 2 stroke gas engine that I think it's been setting up about 10 to 15 years. The rear rims was rusted into. I got the cart running with in an hour. Clean the caburetor and took it out for a drive ,I had to hold the choke 3/4 out for about 10 mins. And the top speed was only 5 to 6 mph. I found that the throttle linkage rod had been adjusted to make the cart go slow. I readjusted the linkage and the cart started running right with top speed about 12 to 14 mph and only choke pulled out for about a minute to warm up. I problem is it smells like raw or rich gas. I sprayed wd 40 around gasket and seals no effect on rpm.I would like to know how adjust everything back to factory spec.
Bryanhiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-10-2017, 09:14 AM   #2
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

Default Re: Yamaha G1

Welcome to BGW!

Check out this thread>> http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-y...s-newbies.html

TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 09:58 AM   #3
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Sitting that long it's almost a gurentee that the crank seals will need replaced
Spicyunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 11:34 AM   #4
meangreenmachine72
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Welcome to this forum. Great people and great advice.
meangreenmachine72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 01:48 PM   #5
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Regarding the smell, you may want to ride that thing around for an hour or so before you do anything to the cart. If it's been sitting for that long the residual 2 stroke oil would have become like tar over the years. It'll take a little bit of time time for that to burn off.

After a day or two of running you still think the cart is running rich (too much gas) then you'll need to check some adjustments; Choke cable to make sure that the choke is actually closing when it is supposed to, mixture screw on the carb, or the float level in the carb.

That you are getting gas is actually a good thing. Normally, older 2 stokes suffer from "not enough gas to run" problems.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 06:49 AM   #6
Bryanhiggins
Not Yet Wild

Thanks guys I'll let you know how it goes . I found on this site info of unplugging the black wire with white stripe where it would stay running. So I jacked up the rear tires and going to let it run for awhile. I got this to take down to the deer camp.
Old 04-02-2017, 11:32 AM   #7
Bryanhiggins
Not Yet Wild

I finally got back to the cart and found the sn# it a 1983 j24 .I purchased a cd manual on ebay for all yamaha cart .I tried to set all linkage to how it written. One I Seen on that repair manual the names of the parts on the pictures are different from the names use when they telling you how to do it and no information on what carburetor or flotation should be set at ,another thing they said exhaust butterfly should be at 19 mm on both sides mind is 26mm very confused, can someone be more pacific in measurement.
Old 04-02-2017, 01:14 PM   #8
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Exhaust butterfly was a fail, just set it to be open all the way at full carb opening. It can be closed some at low carb opening but not off all the way. Many G1 don't have them only some years. Some fix them open but they don't hurt performance if set right they do make the cart quieter at low throttle which is most of the time on typical golf course 12mph use so they were effective for that.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 05:38 AM   #9
Bryanhiggins
Not Yet Wild

I got me a new carburetor and crank seals I'm just going to replace these because of age. What is the bolt size to take the start pulley off with. Thanks for your help in advance
Old 04-27-2017, 09:04 PM   #10
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

There are threads here on putting the crank seals in, do a search, they really help they have the details in them.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
carburetor, rich, throttle
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha