lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-31-2017, 03:45 PM   #1
justwondering
A Gal with a Cart!
Yamaha

Default Carb Adjustment - Made me Laugh

This was so funny I had to share.

Backstory:
I just spent the summer learning (with everyone's help) how to get the old g9 yamaha gas engine out and a clone Lifan (Home Depot Honda Clone) put in.

I am now ready to adjust the carb fuel mix. I've read and had recommended to me to 1) notch the blank sitting over the fuel mix screw, back out the blank and adjust or 2) might be red-loctite in the screw threads so you might have to use some torch heat or 3) replace with a different carb.

Just for Grins:
I was in the waiting room waiting to get the Suburban front end aligned. Soooo I called the Lifan Customer Support and very naively asked how to adjust the fuel mixture .... what follows is the conversation

---- Conversation
-- this is Carlos, how may I help you?

++ Hi Carlos, is Bruce available?

-- No, he's busy. Can I help?

++ Well sure. I purchased two engines (gave my name and number so he could look up). I am returning one of the engines-damaged in shipping. But the other, I'm putting in my golf cart.

--(He looks up my account). Sorry about the damaged engine. That does sound like a great project.

++ Carlos, I wasn't able to use your air box because it sits too high in the engine bay of the golf cart. So I have to use a smaller profile one. That means my air/fuel mix needs to be adjusted. How do I do that?

-- Well, the throttle screw is the large black plastic one about midway across the top of the carb.

++Thanks for that info Carlos. There is nothing wrong with the throttle. I need to adjust the fuel mix. Its running too lean.

--Well, you can't adjust it. There is a blank in front of the fuel mix screw.

++Carlos, so you're telling me there is 1 and only 1 fuel mix setting. No matter how far above or below sea level you happen to be?

--Silence..... I understand your concern. You just have to adjust with the governor.

++Carlos... is this one setting the one best used in California?

--(Carlos laughed). Well... I know it can't be changed because of pollution.

++So Carlos, I don't think its smart to penalize Texans because people in California want to pass funky regulations about carberator screws... or is this a Federal law.

--(laughing).. I believe its an EPA regulation. Really, the easiest way is to get a new carb.

++Carlos... So you can't tell me where the fuel mix screw is or how to adjust it.

--I can tell you the screw is behind a blank that is in the square area on the left of the carb.

++Ahh... so you are being recorded and we must be careful. Well just so your spies know... I'll be searching the interweb and using an acetylene torch to heat up the red loctite and back out that screw 1/4 of a turn. Fact is, I just might get out there and adjust it every day.

--(Laughing) Yes ma'am!

So basically, they acknowledge that they purposely sell you a new engine that they have purposely compromised the function.

It was funny. Don't bother calling the support line for any info on the carb.
justwondering is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-01-2017, 07:55 AM   #2
smokindawg
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Carb Adjustment - Made me Laugh

Yep and now (and this isn't funny) it's in your notes that you are going too modify something (That isn't supposed too be) on your new engine and "POOF" there goes any warranty you could have hoped too have!

It won't matter what problem, if any, that you have from here on out. It will be due to your messing with the carb.

This is experience from working in the warranty department of an automobile engine re-manufacturer.
smokindawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 05:01 PM   #3
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

It is a federal epa thing (not just cali), and a professional mechanic can get several thousand in fines for defeating that limiter cap. Don't think a private individual is gonna get any trouble, but it technically voids the ability of the motor to be used on-road.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 06:41 PM   #4
justwondering
A Gal with a Cart!
Yamaha

as many times as I've had this engine in and out of the engine compartment, I think it will be all right.

The engine is already a 2017 tax write off for the farm. I've got a few guys that owe me favors that understand small engines better than I, so if it spits up I'll call in a favor.

I'm not going to lose sleep over the warranty of this engine. Because its been the one I'm learning on and no doubt I'll make more mistakes/changes as time goes by.

But I do appreciate the heads up.

Still chaps my a s s that the epa is micro managing our lives with a one size fits all solution. Lowering the bar is plain wrong.

(my apologies to the california folks.. no offense meant)
Old 09-02-2017, 12:18 PM   #5
justwondering
A Gal with a Cart!
Yamaha

Well the cap was held in with blue loctite.

The screw appears to have red loctite... its not blue but its not bright red.

I think, officially, I'll be going to plan B: drill out the jets if I can find my torch cleaners. If that doesn't work, its a new carb.

Guess that explains why Carlos was laughing on the phone.

But, since I know nothing about carbs (before this), I now know better what to do when I clean the carb on the 63 willys pickup. So much to learn. I figured it would be better for me to make my mistakes on a 25 dollar carb rather than a more expensive one.

I definitely need stronger glasses or a magnifying glass if I mess with little brass bits like this.
Old 09-02-2017, 09:40 PM   #6
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

The Vegascarts carb is cheap and works well. Adding an adjustable main jet makes it usable up to the higher 20's hp range and 5500 + rpms.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha