lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-18-2018, 05:26 AM   #11
Chilly
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Guess This Part (Clutch Pieces)

I found his roller kit. I'll order next week.

Concur with over-greased diagnosis. Feels like there is dried grease in the rollers, keeping them from rolling freely as the weights slid over them. Can't see the harm in a light oil between the rollers and sleeves during assembly but I don't have a manual and this is my first cart so what do I know.

I'm sure I can replace the rollers myself. Hoping my weights aren't hashed. So long as the hinge holes aren't wallowed out, and they are same profile when laid up on an appropriately-sized drill bit (in hinge holes) then I'll reuse. If not same shape on load ramps then it seems likely that they'll load unevenly, straining the sliding unit sleeves, and leading me back to a worn out clutch.

But this just occurred to me: if the rollers wore clean through to the liners what are the chances that the weights aren't out of shape, even if still the same shape? Maybe doesn't matter too much so long as the lobes are still tall enough to cause full sheive extension before reaching g the end of travel.

And ther is a little bit of play in the sliding unit over the shaft of the fixed side so figure to replace the sleeve bearings.

Chilly
Chilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-18-2018, 05:35 AM   #12
sformal
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I am quite sure you will need the primary sheave extractor...
sformal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 05:50 AM   #13
Chilly
Getting Wild
Yamaha

That long bolt for pulling the clutch? Or a tool for separating the two halves?
Old 03-18-2018, 06:18 AM   #14
sformal
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly View Post
That long bolt for pulling the clutch?
Yes, that is it! It is not a standard metric thread

Quote:
Or a tool for separating the two halves?
You can use a large pipe wrench (to use carefully) but perhaps other members have other ways to do it... (cgtech is the guru )
Old 03-18-2018, 07:04 AM   #15
Chilly
Getting Wild
Yamaha

For separating the halves I'm thinking to make a giant spanner socket from a length of large diameter PVC. Cut three notches to fit over the end, run a hole through it to drive with a piece of pipe. The PVC spanner will either work, or break.
Old 03-18-2018, 07:45 AM   #16
sformal
Gone Wild

Yamaha

PVC? It will break, for sure!!!

It is quite tighten and even, it is better to heat a bit before trying to un-tighten it... by the way, the best is to wait for cgtech's word...
Old 03-18-2018, 12:53 PM   #17
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

I have the actual tool, but I would build one out of metal. A triangle of flat metal (triangle shape not mandatory, only suggested for easy layout), 3 large bolts, and a large nut. Drill 3 holes for the 3 large bolts at outer points of triangle (these 3 bolts must engage the 3 arms on the spider on the clutch). Weld or nut the 3 bolts in place. Weld the large nut in the middle of the triangle on the opposite side as the bolt shanks face. Keep in mind, this device will need to withstand the force of a 1/2" breaker bar, so build accordingly. PVC sounds nice, but these things always require a breaker bar, and I don't know of a PVC up to that job.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 01:26 PM   #18
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
I have the actual tool, but I would build one out of metal. A triangle of flat metal (triangle shape not mandatory, only suggested for easy layout), 3 large bolts, and a large nut. Drill 3 holes for the 3 large bolts at outer points of triangle (these 3 bolts must engage the 3 arms on the spider on the clutch). Weld or nut the 3 bolts in place. Weld the large nut in the middle of the triangle on the opposite side as the bolt shanks face. Keep in mind, this device will need to withstand the force of a 1/2" breaker bar, so build accordingly. PVC sounds nice, but these things always require a breaker bar, and I don't know of a PVC up to that job.
and unscrew the spider counter clock wise. A little propane torch to loosen up the "Loctite" doesn't hurt either.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 02:07 PM   #19
Chilly
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Have a welder so I'll make a more suitable tool. Thanks for the advice.

Another question: what is the correct number of stubby golf pencils that should be rotting in the dash under the cup holders? I hope it's 17.
Old 03-18-2018, 03:06 PM   #20
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Quote:
H
Another question: what is the correct number of stubby golf pencils that should be rotting in the dash under the cup holders? I hope it's 17.
Minimum, someone must have cleaned it out already :)
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha