lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-25-2009, 10:20 AM   #1
Locascio
Not Yet Wild

Default G16 "Power" Air Filter and Jet Opinions....?

Guys,
Is the power air filter and jet worth the $$ ? The filter is $70 and the Jet is $15 for a total of $85. So, if the 301cc is 10hp and you realize a 1hp gain, then for $85 you get a 10% gain right? Is it worth it, or don't you really notice a differance?
Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Filter.JPG (39.4 KB, 34 views)
Locascio is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-25-2009, 12:40 PM   #2
spriddle
Admin

Yamaha

Default Re: G16 "Power" Air Filter and Jet Opinions....?

My opinion on a G16 (with lift and 20 to 22 inch tires): install the torque spring/spacer only kit, completely bypass the governor (hook the pedal cable directly to carb. and adjust), remove the foam insert in the airbox, install a uridium NGK plug, plug off the pcv inlet on the airbox only and run the vent line down and out under the cart (may want to install a fuel filter to keep down any leaks, just make sure the arrow is pointing out for flow), change the oil to Mobil 1 syn 10w30, and enjoy plenty of torque and running 30+ mph for around $50 total. This is the best bang for your buck I've ran across with modding any of my carts.

spriddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 01:00 PM   #3
Locascio
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by spriddle View Post
plug off the pcv inlet on the airbox only and run the vent line down and out under the cart (may want to install a fuel filter to keep down any leaks, just make sure the arrow is pointing out for flow),
I do not understand this. There is a black hose (from the carb?) to the air box. Pull it off the air box and plug the hole in the airbox, right? Then remove the hose from the carb and put a much longer one on that goes to the bottom of the cart. Put a fuel filter on this (at the bottom, near the ground) and ensure the arrow points toward the hose allowing air in?

Also, how many quarts of oil does this motor take?

I need to buy a manual! LOL! Thanks for the help!
Old 03-25-2009, 01:42 PM   #4
spriddle
Admin

Yamaha

Forget about the pcv hose. Just leave it hooked to the airbox. This only deters any oil getting into the airbox. It's more or less preventative maintenance anyway. Go with all the other though.

Old 03-26-2009, 06:09 AM   #5
Locascio
Not Yet Wild

Ok, here's the deal. Went to the NGK Website and they did not list a plug number for the G16, only the G16A (See Photo). Can you tell me the iridium plug number to buy for a 1999 G16 with a 301 CC Engine? Thanks!

Oh yeah, How many quarts of Mobil 1 do I need to buy?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Plugs.JPG (33.7 KB, 25 views)
Old 03-26-2009, 07:02 AM   #6
spriddle
Admin

Yamaha

The standard plug for a G16 is NGK BPR2ES. The Uridium is NGK BPR2EIX.

Get two quarts of Mobil 1. It will hold about 1.25 quarts.

Old 03-26-2009, 08:05 AM   #7
Locascio
Not Yet Wild

What type of gear oil (and approx. how much?) do you use in the rear end? I am guessing it has never been changed and I want to get this done before I take it up north for the season. Thanks for all the info Spriddle!
Old 03-26-2009, 08:31 AM   #8
spriddle
Admin

Yamaha

Mobil 1 75w90 gear oil, about 1.5 quarts (until it starts to run out of the fill hole).

Old 04-06-2009, 12:25 AM   #9
mbincorp
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

I have a 99 g-16 did not know it was 301 cc, am following the thread and discovered I put my kit in wrong. probably why I have not seen any torque change.
mbincorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 12:29 AM   #10
mbincorp
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Spriddle, I installed the Jakes 8" long travel, the torque kit and lite kit this weekend. directions not quite understandable for a shade tree cart mech like myself but reading your post I think, I have figured it out. Will this torque kit and the other instructions you gave locascio give my g-16 the ability t oclimb the hills out in west texas in your oppinion?
mbincorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha