lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-17-2018, 08:49 PM   #1
Soxckersfc2002
Not Yet Wild

Default New cable set...6 gauge or 4 gauge?

Just picked up my first cart (2010 Yamaha Drive) and I’ve been making some small additions to it already. The motor and controller appear to both be stock (for now) and I’m planning for the PTV code upgrade in a few weeks. Some of the battery cables aren’t in the greatest shape so I’m going to replace the full set of cables ASAP. Since I plan on getting new cables, should I simply replace the 6 gauge cables or consider going to 4 gauge? I don’t know if i’ll get any material benefits with 4 gauge cables with my current setup, but i’m guessing it would set me up for better success if I replace the controller and motor down the line. My main concern in the interim, though, is would moving to 4 gauge (or even 2 gauge) cables cause any downstream issues with everything else currently being stock (I.e. too much heat/power being transferred downstream)? I’ve read a few different threads involving either a motor or controller being upgraded, but I’m looking for recommendations on more of a stock setup. Thanks!!!
Soxckersfc2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-17-2018, 08:56 PM   #2
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Default Re: New Cart Owner!

Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 09:00 PM   #3
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Default Re: New cable set...6 gauge or 4 gauge?

Wow. Never seen that happen. Title and the post changed.

BTW. By all means go to 4 gauge or bigger.
Old 10-17-2018, 09:07 PM   #4
Soxckersfc2002
Not Yet Wild

Thanks Mooncarter. That was actually my bad...I had mixed up my post and the specific forum channel but before I could finish editing it, you had replied. Great first impression on my end. Haha. Thanks for the quick response, though.
Old 10-17-2018, 09:12 PM   #5
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

LOL. Gotta ask. What does Soxckersfc2002 mean? I get the Sox (Chicago) part.
Old 10-17-2018, 09:16 PM   #6
Soxckersfc2002
Not Yet Wild

Was an old club soccer team from when I was a youngster. Just a handle i’ve stuck with over the years. Old habits never die, I suppose.
Old 10-18-2018, 08:42 AM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

We use 2g cables for everything now. 2g is the most efficient size for 300-600 amp controls. Anything less can be restrictive in some applications. Anything more is not needed.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 08:58 AM   #8
LPnTX
Gone Wild

Don't get the PTV code, call Don Plowman at Plowman's Carts. He's a site sponsor and ask him about his Riot Kit. You won't be disappointed
LPnTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 04:01 AM   #9
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Since the stock controller is good for roughly 245a, you don't necessarily need 2g cables, and aside from other suggestions, if 19-22mph (depending on tire size) would suit your needs, the PTV speed code is a good value to pick up a few mph. A set of 4g, or 2g cables are all you should spend your money on, don't spend a dime on 6g cables, no matter what your future plans are. Know that there are no torque benefits from the factory PTV speed code, more mph only. Keep in mind that if you upgrade your controller to get more speed & torque, you will eventually be doing a motor swap too. (The stock motor isn't very tough).
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 04:17 AM   #10
Dennisneri
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

2g for sure Welcome
Dennisneri is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha