lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-24-2019, 12:59 PM   #1
rcgroves
Not Yet Wild

Default Using universal Duralast ignition coil

Cart is a 1995 Yamaha G9

I am wondering if I can replace my OEM ignition coil with a universal coil from AutoZone?

From what I have seen it looks like it should be a drop-in replacement I plan to also change out the ignitor if this does not work.

Here is a link to the coil that I am referring to thanks.

https://m.autozone.com/ignition-tune...402_17367?aqs=
rcgroves is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-24-2019, 06:26 PM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: Using universal Duralast ignition coil

I dont know if/how that would work with the OEM ignitor but I do know for certain if you convert to HEI using Chrysler kit, the generic Chrysler ignition coil works great.

If you try let us know. Worst case if not, convert to Chrysler HEI and you'll be good. The HEI parts are only.sround $30 for everything.
CP241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 01:01 AM   #3
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Problem with the hei conversion (be it GM HEI, or Chrysler) is you lose any spark advance offered in the original system. I wish I had a good "other idea", but I'm not happy with the idea of no spark advance. Probably will run better than non-functional OEM ignitor. Your results may vary, and if it's right for you, fine by me. My $0.02.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 07:07 AM   #4
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
Problem with the hei conversion (be it GM HEI, or Chrysler) is you lose any spark advance offered in the original system. I wish I had a good "other idea", but I'm not happy with the idea of no spark advance. Probably will run better than non-functional OEM ignitor. Your results may vary, and if it's right for you, fine by me. My $0.02.
Agreed, however I don't know how much more I could have gotten out of my G9 with OEM ignitor (it never had one). Power/acceleration are just as good as any gas ezgo or club car I've had, and it would run around 21-22mph on 20" tires, though j kept the governor set around 16-17mph. I dont need any faster than that.

What kind of performance would you expect with OEM ignitor?
CP241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 01:32 PM   #5
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

The OEM cuts timing at low rpm iirc under 2500 it goes down to zero advance at 1000 or something like that. This makes it start easier and not spark knock, etc. I think it is a hall effect there seems to be no magnet in the flywheel. I looked for something similar but found nothing other than GY6 boxes that are higher rpm so if they did work the advance was not right. They call the G9 a tfi not a cdi, iirc, some of it is in the manual you can get free here.

So in the end if you got the chrysler ignition going it should run the same at 2500 and up rpm, but it could get hot or knock at lower rpm or start hard when hot, etc. There are sticky threads here explaining it all, plenty of people have converted them. I think it works ok mostly because the comp level is pretty low, though the G2 is said to have more compression. Or the engine is tired and low comp.

To a lesser extent the new UT2 and b&s coil ignitions do the same thing and lower timing at low rpm but not as far best I can tell. These new ignitions are used on b&s and honda and even on clones now. They are a different style of the old magneto which I think are used on G16 yamaha and newer (not 100% sure what ones) and commonly used on many lawn engines, with a coil over a big magnet on the flywheel. They call the new ones electronic coil ignitions, UT2, etc. However they take a different flywheel with an advanced magnet position to work properly, the coil then retards the timing at low rpm and lets it go through advanced at high rpm. The old style coil and flywheel are different and locked at whatever advance all the time, the old coil does not have an electronic component to it. For the honda ut2 you can buy a new coil from NR racing without a 4K rpm rev limit, for performance use. I don't remember if the B&S has a rev limit.

I have wanted to put my old ignitor on my clone but would have to make a window on the flywheel somehow. It would be easier to convert it to the UT2. But yeah it runs ok now I have many other mods to do to it lol like a different carb that may run nicer. This is what I found researching it, really you have limited options for small engines they are still in the 1800s for technology until the recent move to electronic magnetos I explained above, which have far as I found about 10 degrees advance (I could be wrong) while the G9 would run near 30 degrees change in advance according to the manual. But hey some is better than none.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 07:38 PM   #6
rcgroves
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the help everyone. The coil did work however it produced similar results so I went back to my OEM coil.
rcgroves is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha