lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-03-2019, 12:33 PM   #1
david101193
Not Yet Wild

Default G16 running bad jerky

Hello all, I have a G16 that basically runs properly intermittently. It has a new carb and a good tank of gas. The cart starts up great and gets moving but once it's moving it starts to "miss", puttering out, and backfires sometimes. Under full throttle it really starts to run bad and backfires.

I'm thinking the ignition coil is starting to fail on the cart but am not 100% sure. Does there happen to be an easy way to test these ignition coils, because the issue only arises when the cart is being driven around.

Also other than that, I suppose it could need valve adjustment??? Is that also a possibility?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
david101193 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-03-2019, 01:11 PM   #2
1arunem
Gone Wild

Default Re: G16 running bad jerky

Others may have better ideas but unplug the two wire connector going to the front of the engine then take it for a spin. If the problem persists, it is likely the coil. If the problem is no longer present, it is likely something else (lean condition/carb, etc.)

Be advised the engine may want to continue run after coming to full stop with the two wire plug disconnected. If it continues to idle slowly you can pull the the spark plug boot to stop the engine.
1arunem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 04:47 PM   #3
Crackback
Gone Wild

Yamaha

U say it has a “new carb”. Is that an OEM carb or a cheap $15 knockoff carb? Nothing but trouble with those.
Crackback is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 05:09 PM   #4
david101193
Not Yet Wild

Crack, it's a carb from Red Hawk. I have an account with them. I have cleaned the carb that the cart already had on it, after cleaning it, making sure all jets were clear, and reinstalling the cart ran exactly the same. So I went ahead with the new carb and no change either. I dont believe it's the carb after testing. Still never ruling it out. It is seeming like it is the ignition coil failing because it starts up and runs but you can hear the motor missing when the issue arises and when it misses itll backfire out the exhaust because the spark plug didnt ignite the fuel. At least that makes sense lol.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
david101193 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 08:44 PM   #5
freshdaymusic
Not Yet Wild

I’m new so take this with a grain...

I would not toss the mikuni carb. I would clean it and reinstall it. They are good solid pieces.

Is the throttle plate closing all the way? And do you have good gas? Is the spark plug new/clean? I would be sure the throttle plate closes all the way when throttle is relaxed. I would also be sure there isn’t any air leaking at all around your air box or hoses. To test this, I put my car in neutral and held the throttle down a little while cart was running and sprayed starting fluid around the air box and hoses going to and from it and around where the air box meets the carb. If you get a rise in rpm, you have a leak and the cart will run badly with that condition. Is your governor arm stock and unmodified?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
freshdaymusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha