lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-12-2019, 04:14 PM   #11
csdougl
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Handling issue

I have been tinkering with toe settings on my cart since I started this post and I am curious if anyone has seen this issue.

I tried setting the tires dead ahead and took it out, uncontrollable. I set the toe in to around 1/8 and took it out, even worse. I went all the way out the front of the tires being almost and inch closer than the back of the tires, but it was uncontrollable to the point of dangerous starting around 10mph. I went back to 0 and then tried toe out. As I move the tires out more and more, the cart improves its stability at the expense of speed, and I'm assuming tires down the road.

I have it set to around 1.5 inches closer in the back of the front tires than the front of the front tires and finally it feels safe to take up to 18-19 as long as I don't drive over the crown of the road or hit a big bump (those will still kick it out into a fishtail). There appears to be no slack in the steering, but the out of control nature seems to creep back in and get worse over time until I start the process again (takes about two full charges to be a problem again).

Is there anything I can do or check that anyone is aware of?
csdougl is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-30-2019, 08:37 PM   #12
csdougl
Not Yet Wild

Gonna bump this since I’m still having this problem. The crown of the road is still throwing it around almost into a slide at any speed above 10.

Currently running 22 inch tires on wheels with no spacers. Would adding wheel spacers help this issue at all?

I’ve had it serviced and checked at multiple Yamaha dealers and every time it comes back it is more out of control each time and I have to start over with setup.
Old 07-31-2019, 07:00 AM   #13
BBBHC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by csdougl View Post
I'm worried about rolling the cart because it is hard to control, and sometimes the control issues happen slower than I would expect.
Is this still an issue? Happening at different speeds?

Quote:
Gonna bump this since I’m still having this problem. The crown of the road is still throwing it around almost into a slide at any speed above 10.
This makes me think camber may be off...

Currently running 22 inch tires on wheels with no spacers. Would adding wheel spacers help this issue at all?
I doubt this would help for your issues, might even amplify your issues.

I’ve had it serviced and checked at multiple Yamaha dealers and every time it comes back it is more out of control each time and I have to start over with setup.
Seems like dealers would be able to figure out the problem. Unless they are not used to dealing with modified carts. At this point my best guess would be loose or worn parts. If you can give us some pictures of the suspension from different angles, maybe something will jump out at one of us.
BBBHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 07:40 AM   #14
csdougl
Not Yet Wild

Yes, it happens generally any speed above 10 it will try to fishtail at just about any bump or change in the road.

If I set the toe-in to between 0-1/8 it is "ok" temporarily but it jumps out of that quite quickly. I hadn't driven a lifted cart before this one, so this may be common, but going around fairly gentle curves in the road requires letting it drop below 10 first. This is true no matter what the toe settings are.

If I set it to toed out, it will handle fine over the bumps in the road, but will drift around a lot.

I can't get pictures right now as I am out of town, but I will try to get some when I am back.
Old 07-31-2019, 08:21 AM   #15
BBBHC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
I hadn't driven a lifted cart before this one, so this may be common, but going around fairly gentle curves in the road requires letting it drop below 10 first. This is true no matter what the toe settings are.
Lifted vehicles are inherently less stable than non lifted. However, the issues you are describing is not what I have experienced with lifted vehicles that had no loose or worn components. I've been in many and the only time I've experienced your issues, is when some components are worn.

While spacers will help with the feeling of "rolling" in turns, they won't help with the sudden fish tailing you are describing. They will help you in gentle curves.
BBBHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 11:01 AM   #16
csdougl
Not Yet Wild

I'm considering trading it off and letting the dealer handle fixing the issue, but this has me leery of Yamaha now.
Old 11-13-2019, 11:05 PM   #17
Nick16536
Not Yet Wild

Have this same issue on my 2016 I just got, once I put a 400 controller on and go above stock speed. I think I might have fixed it today tho, I toed my front out 1/8” and was going 22 mph and didn’t notice the problem anymore. Still need to check with a couple passengers on it, as I’ve noticed it gets worse with more weight, prior to changing the toe.
Nick16536 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 03:07 PM   #18
davjohn28
Gone Wild

Yamaha

ive got a 2016 Yamaha with 6" a-arm lift. 23" All terrain tires. Mine is otherwise pretty stock. my top speed is 15mph. When im driving full speed it can be slightly squirrely at time if i hit a bump or something but other than that its not uncontrollable.
One thing i did that sounds trivial but really helped with handling was replacing the steering wheel. I bought one of the Rhox automotive type steering wheel and i swear it makes the cart so much easier to control.
i do believe that you've got more issues than just the tire toe and camber. I would say it doesn't have anything to do with the cart being a yamaha but more to do with the aftermarket parts that are on it. Can you post some photos of the cart?
davjohn28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 08:08 AM   #19
Rooster59
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I haven't been around Yamahas much to know what the rear suspension is like but I believe it is a swingarm type with coilover shocks. A friend with a gas Marathon has the same issue as the OP. The Marathon has the same type of rear suspension. We discovered the swingarm bushings were shot allowing the rear axle to sway side to side. That makes the cart essentially a "rear steer" cart with no control. This could be the OP's problem. Handling/steering issues aren't always at the front.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
Rooster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 11:36 AM   #20
Geoff1200
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster59 View Post
I haven't been around Yamahas much to know what the rear suspension is like but I believe it is a swingarm type with coilover shocks. A friend with a gas Marathon has the same issue as the OP. The Marathon has the same type of rear suspension. We discovered the swingarm bushings were shot allowing the rear axle to sway side to side. That makes the cart essentially a "rear steer" cart with no control. This could be the OP's problem. Handling/steering issues aren't always at the front.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
X2, replaced rear shocks on my 2014 Drive and generally "tightened" everything up, VIOLLA! Cured.
A shout out to Pingeye3 for the great deal on shocks!
Geoff1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha