lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-14-2020, 05:34 PM   #1
Sean5545
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Battery wire question

Hey guys first post in this forum as I spent all my time in the ezgo gas forum. I just picked up a Yamaha G 29 electric for my wife. I was just curious if there was any advantage to going bigger with the battery cables. i’ve seen terminals melt on other peoples etc. I didn’t know if anyone has any experience with this kind of modification. I do come from a heavy electrical background and because of that I know the larger the wire the less heat created with the same current but I don’t know if I would be wasting my time or not short of putting a thermal imaging camera on the batteries after a long run. Any thoughts are appreciated

thank you
Sean
Sean5545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-15-2020, 03:05 AM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: Battery wire question

The factory 6g cables are "just barely fine" for it's intended use, and that's golf, stock tires, ect. Just like everything else, they dont spend extra where they can save a dime. The stock controller is not very powerful (as you may have noticed). But, every bit of efficiency is an avenue worth looking down. Will bigger cables alone make your stock cart "more powerful"? Probably not. And, melted terminals is usually an issue related to poor maintenance/upkeep. I have seen many "big systems" running 4g cables without melting terminals (4g is only 1 size bigger than stock). Good connections, and keeping them tight, seems to be a bigger deal than massive cables. (Not too tight, lead is soft & easily deformable, battery manufacturer specs are right around 10 ft/lbs torque). 109 "inch pound" is trojan spec. 9.1 ft/lb. I say "right around 10 ft/lb" because most everyone's torque wrench is useless at that low of a setting. If 10 is the lowest setting on your torque wrench, it's a useless innacurate setting, and you should just use a short wrench instead. Another reason for a short wrench is this, a wrench that wont reach the positive post from the negative post means your wrench will never short across the 2, being a nice 2,000a wrench fuse. (I've seen it, and it ain't nice at all for your hand).
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha