lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-16-2009, 08:38 AM   #1
asicsrunner
Not Yet Wild

Default 88 EZ go, no start after getting warm

I have an 88 EZ go. Motor rebuilt and carb cleaned 2 years ago.

The cart will start usually real nice. If driven for more than a few blocks and stopped for a few minutes, it has a history of not wanting to start.

Could this be the coil?

It usually does come back to life after it cools off. We have had to push it home from the grocery store or wherever on a few occasions...

Yesterday, after reading various suggestions, I made sure all electrical connections were tight. I tried to replicate the conditions by driving around the block several times and stopping in my yard, couldn't make it NOT start then...(of course!)

Could a slightly loose connection on a ground be cause for a problem as well?

How can the coil be tested?

If the coil IS bad, can someone post some pictures as to how the GM HEI coil swap works? I am guessing a HEI coil from a mid 70s GM product will be cheaper and more readily available than a specialty coil from EZGO. I DID see the wiring diagram, but I almost need to see a real picture too to make sense of it. I am not sure if I follow what colors are being used...
As you can see, I have a lot to learn about small engines but that's why I am here!!

Thank you in advance!!
asicsrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-16-2009, 04:06 PM   #2
sccowboy
It ain't gonna be easy.

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 88 EZ go, no start after getting warm

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/golf-...1983-ezgo.html

I wouldnt sweat the colors as much as making sure that the wires go where the diagram shows you to put them. I am not sure if anyone has a pic of that swap. Get yourself an ohm meter from radio shack or lowes and learn how to use it to check circuits for power and for resistance etc. It will help you tremendously. I keep one on my cart at all times just in case I need to fix something on the fly.
sccowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 09:24 PM   #3
bosspsd
Not Yet Wild

This is what my 2001 acts like too, I am pretty sure my valves or the top end on the motor is shot. Mine always starts cold but will just barely start when hot. Are you thinking your coil has a hot short?
bosspsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 09:40 PM   #4
asicsrunner
Not Yet Wild

I think mine was a loose wire. It's been fine for a couple weeks.
I just went thru and made sure all wiring was tight. I had a ground connection that was pretty loose.

It's fired right away warm or cold since.

Still backfires mildly once and awhile though..
asicsrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 09:47 PM   #5
tonyton
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Assuming the 88 is a 2 cycle, it's probably a bad coil. They beak down after time and will stop operating if too hot. Keep a gallon of water in your cart. Next time it stops...cool the coil with the water. If it starts, you need a coil. Ruredy taught me that.
If you have valves, check the adjustment. The robin engines seem to go out of adjustment fairly regular. Bad connections and grounds can cause anything to "not" happen.

Still backfires mildly once and awhile though..The backfire when letting off the throttle or when stopping is caused by the carb butterfly valve being slighly open. There is an adjustment to allow it to close completely.

Last edited by tonyton; 06-28-2009 at 09:51 PM.. Reason: backfire
tonyton is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO