lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-17-2012, 05:09 PM   #1
Shucks
Not Yet Wild

Default Complete newb with model b2087 gas ezgo and know nothing about it

Title says it all. I got this thing to go up and down the hill in my back yard since I have some nerve damage in my legs. I have had it about a year, but have wanted to tune it up and get it running better before I used it. It was running when I got it, but in pretty crummy shape. I finally got to it today afterwork, and charged the battery, And it cranked up and ran pretty well, but has to run for a minute or so before going into gear. It also doesn't like the steep hill very much and will barely make it up it. I decided It needed an oil change, and I can't find a dip stick.
The main reasons I came here were to ask About the general info on tis thing, whether you guys could help me figure out how to get it up that grade easier, and is it possible this thing is two cycle? I am pretty good at tinkering with stuff, but could not find a dip stick at all. It runs really quietly for A two cycle engine, and I'm not sure the guy I got it from ever put any oil in the gas.

Any info would be appreciated,
Thanks,
Shucks
Shucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-18-2012, 02:14 PM   #2
Shucks
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Complete newb with model b2087 gas ezgo and know nothing about it

I would think the 2087 is a referance to it being a 1987 model. Were these all 2 cycle or were some 4 stroke?
Old 04-18-2012, 05:12 PM   #3
Heliarc
Warthog cart

E-Z-GO

They have a pretty good exhaust on them.Mine is an 88 and it's a two cycle.If you have to let off the pedal, throw the switch and restart to get reverse, I would say it's a two stroke.It actually runs backwards for reverse gear.As far as not making it up your hill, it could be your drive belt is shot, or your drive clutch is not closing up like it should.If it sounds like it's running good but isn't moving up hill very well that's probably it.How does it do on flat runs?
Heliarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 05:37 PM   #4
Shucks
Not Yet Wild

It seems to run fine on flat land, and on the hill, it seems like the whole thing slows down. I don't think the tank has any oil in it, and if I need to mix some in it, I want to do that now. I don't see a dipstick which leads me to believe it could be two stroke. If only two strokes were made then, then I will mix it up. It has only gone a half mile or so in a year, so no biggie there. I was thinking of bigger tires to make it up a little better. How hard can these old things be to work on?

Thanks for any advice guys.
Old 04-18-2012, 06:06 PM   #5
Heliarc
Warthog cart

E-Z-GO

Bigger tires will actually make it harder on it to get up the hill, assuming it's not rocky and all that.The big tires will give you a higher gear ratio thus a higher top speed but less climbing power.If you want to mix your oil the ratio I use is 100:1 or like an ounce and a quarter to one gallon.
Old 04-18-2012, 06:17 PM   #6
Shucks
Not Yet Wild

That is an awful weak gas mix. Might be the reason it hasn't locked up with pure gas. Half pint to six gallons or so. If there is a way to make sure, I will start working on it tomorrow.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:41 PM   #7
racin161
Gone Wild

The proper mix would be 1oz per gallon 128:1 that is ONLY if you injector pump has been removed!!! HAS IT???? if your not sure let us know before going forward K WELCOME to BGW

LOU
racin161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:54 PM   #8
Shucks
Not Yet Wild

There is no oil reservoir anywhere under the seat. That is another reason I am confused about the type of motor. I have tinkered with 2 stroke boat motors a few times, and have disconnected quite a few old school oil reservoirs. I know it sounds dumb to not know if it is two cycle, but aside from not having a dip stick, I don't know how to tell. Any ideas on this old thing?
Old 04-18-2012, 11:11 PM   #9
Heliarc
Warthog cart

E-Z-GO

Ok, pull up the seat and disconnect the sparkplug.This is going to involve cranking the engine and you don't want it to fire up on you and try to take off.Next crank it with the switch in forward.Note the direction the engine turns.Next throw it in reverse.If it spins backwards it is definitely a 2 stroke.Since a two stroke has no valve train like a four stroke does, it doesn't matter which way the crank is going, so long as the piston is going up and down, it will run.No dipstick would also indicate a two stroke since the crank is lubricated by the fuel/oil mixture.Another way to tell, does the intake go into the cylinder head, or does it go into the engine block?No four stroke will have it going into the block.The Robin two stroke however, does.

At first I thought the mix ratio was insane, but I've looked around quite a bit and 128:1 is the proper mix, I just like to go a hair thicker since I like to see some smoke.That and my cart isn't going to be trundling leisurely along.
Old 04-19-2012, 06:32 AM   #10
Shucks
Not Yet Wild

Thanks. I tried the earlier suggestion of starting it and switching from forward to reverse while it is barely going forward. The entire thing shuts down and starts all over again in reverse. I think that test seals it for me. I will look at how the motor turns asap. Now I have to get a little more power out of this thing. My lab can just keep up with it on a trip around the block and that hill is pretty steep.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO