lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-20-2012, 07:31 AM   #1
lady bug
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default ezgo 2 stroke speed

I was wondering if I could get some speed tips from some ppl on here I have a 91 2 stroke ezgo on 23 inch tires does about 12 I have done the typical maintenance but I want more that 12 mph they put a croth rocket exaust on it and that has to be killing it with no eexpansion chamber any performance idieas would be great exaust intake jetting ect thanks guys
lady bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-20-2012, 08:21 AM   #2
DaPeach
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: ezgo 2 stroke speed

Your top speed should be higher w/ tall tires. I have stockers & my top speed w/ two of us on it is 20 mph. I have the governor zip-tied. That's it.

I think you should put a stock exhaust back on & go from there...definitely need that chamber
DaPeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 08:26 AM   #3
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

Bone stock except for a govenor by-pass,it should run low-mid 20's with 22" tires.My 85 Marathon would run 23mph all day long.The govenor will definetly kill it before 15mph.I'm with DaPeach on the exhaust,run the stock stuff.Unless you really do your homework,you'll never get it right by just putting an expansion-chamber on it.They are tuned for engine size,rpm and weight.An open-element filter is a plus,as are clutch-mods.They only turn around 4500-5,000 rpm on a good day,which is very low for a 2-stroke to start with.Hope this helps.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 08:29 AM   #4
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

My stock 1988 2-stroker does 23mph with a stock belt on 22X11's ... 12mph is actually factory spec top speed on the standard tires so there's definitely something WAY wrong with your existing setup.

First, providing you are the type that can resist the urge to over-rev the cart, a large increase in top end can be had by removing the governor cable from the carburetor (thats the cable that runs from the carb to the rear end of the cart) - a good idea when doing this though is to invest in a tachometer (between $10-20 on Ebay) to ensure you don't exceed the safe factory redline of 5k (these motors JUST can't take high revs, not designed for it).

Second, you may want to invest in a stock muffler/exhaust - they are designed to wring the top possible power out of the 3PG motor and work in conjunction with the stock BV18 carb wonderfully - those carbs really actually HATE to over-breathe, and it sounds like that's likely an issue with your setup (these 2-strokes aren't like a 4-stroke that benifits from a header system, you would have to swap the carb as well if you modify the exhaust - no different jets are readily available)

Lastly, as I stated, you should easily get 21-23mph out of a correctly tuned, non-goverened stock 3PG setup which is pushing the limits of safety (the steering WILL get squirrelly - especially with larger tires - at anything over 20 or so, and the brakes on the Marathons will begin to scare the bejeezus out of you at those speeds too, they JUST weren't made to hook down these carts from anything over 12mph, no matter how you adjust, tweak, etc)
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:18 AM   #5
lady bug
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Thanks for the replys guys great help I'm kind of s.o.l on stock exaust the guy didn't have it and I'm sure there not cheap I might try to get a formula on building my own with expansion chamber I am not sure how to remove govner because the throttle cable come off from pedal and goes to rear end and from the rear end it is rigid linkage to the carb can I drill the little key part on the rear end that turns the bracket and I'm not to familiar on how to work on these clutches is it worth istalling a torque spring ect that seconday looks pretty scary compares to a yamaha lol thanks for the help guys
Old 06-20-2012, 10:33 AM   #6
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Hi Lady bug,
Everything the guys above said is correct, you really must not mess with a two stroke exhaust. Here is a nice little graphic of how the expansion chamber works and if you look at the green stuff in the exhaust that is sucked back into the engine, that is the gas that you are wasting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ar...e_Zweitakt.gif

You are correct when you say that you are SOL because a new 3PG exhaust is an eye watering $800 ! That said the expansion chamber is actually in the exhaust pipe which is still an exorbitant $125. I think that I would try to find a pipe and then fabricate my own muffler using a two cycle dirt bike or anything I could find that didn't involve a house payment.

Sadly I do believe that you have to fix this before you can search for the elusive extra horse power.

Good luck

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 10:39 AM   #7
DaPeach
Not Yet Wild

set it on fire.

j/k

I didn't realize there were a few different part #'s for these.
Old 06-21-2012, 04:40 AM   #8
lady bug
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Hoe about governer removal any advise on hoe
Old 06-21-2012, 04:41 AM   #9
lady bug
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Wow spell check got me on that one lol how is what I meant
Old 06-21-2012, 12:22 PM   #10
DaPeach
Not Yet Wild

this is how I zip tied mine...assuming this is still in place on yours?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO