lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-13-2014, 12:47 PM   #1
jk1919
Not Yet Wild

Default NOT smooth running

I have a 97 gas club car. this cart has ran great for years. I ran out of gas, filled up ran good a couple rounds, then just died. wouldn't start. so I put in new plug, started right up. Problem is, its all or nothing. When I press on the gas pedal, its all out, goes approx. 5 sec then dies, then picks up and repeats this over and over. I can still get around the course, but very annoying. Also smells like its flooded. Please help, I'm not much of a mechanic.
jk1919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-14-2014, 07:38 PM   #2
Richbunnie
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Re: NOT smooth running

More info would help. Does it backfire? When it dies. If you keep the same throttle position. will it pick it back up? However my first thought would be ignition. The coil or rev limiter.
Hope this helps.
Richbunnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 07:54 PM   #3
jk1919
Not Yet Wild

yes, it does backfire, not always. Even if I barely push the gas it goes full out, then dies, and yes if i keep the pedal in the same spot or depress it more it will pick it up. Thanks
Old 01-15-2014, 07:21 AM   #4
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Welcome to BGW jk1919!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk1919 View Post
yes, it does backfire, not always. Even if I barely push the gas it goes full out, then dies, and yes if i keep the pedal in the same spot or depress it more it will pick it up. Thanks
There's a good possibility that your carburetor butterfly is either broken, or missing all together!

Click pic...
054.JPG

Sadly, there aren't any replacement parts, so you'll need to buy a new carb!
The biggest concern are the mounting screws, if they get sucked up in the engine, they can cause some real damage!

lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 07:59 PM   #5
jk1919
Not Yet Wild

Well that was the first thing I checked, thinking it was stuck open. The throttle plate seemed to operate fine. I will check it again to make sure. Thanks!
Old 01-16-2014, 07:49 PM   #6
Richbunnie
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

If the carb checks out. Disconnect the rev limiter and give it a try.
Richbunnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 09:08 AM   #7
jk1919
Not Yet Wild

well I checked the carb. seems fine. Disconnected the ground on the rev limiter. Now instead of it running then dying, and repeating. It just goes full out until I let off the gas. Which is better, but I feel like I'm going to blow the engine. In other words, I don't think that was the problem. Any more suggestions? Thanks again!
Old 01-21-2014, 01:44 PM   #8
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Well... if your absolutely SURE your butterfly isn't broken, (99.8% the case for a "all or nothing" scenario)

The next thing I'd look at is checking to see if the throttle return spring is disconnected/broken! (#15)
Its kind of hard to see with the linkage cover on (#9), but, it is possible!

Intakecarb.jpg
lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car