lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-16-2014, 11:07 AM   #1
Skattracker2
Not Yet Wild

Default New guy? 2 Stroke Oil Leak

Hello everyone. Brand new to the forum and golf carts. I recently purchased a 1988 EZGO with the 244 Robin Engine. The cart is modified with a 6-8" lift, overload rear springs and 25" ATV tires. I am going to use it on trails and logging roads, so a lot cheaper than a side by side.

Cart runs fairly well as it had old gas in it when I got it. The oil injection is not hooked up, so I mixed fresh oil at 50:1. After I read here I realized it should be 100:1 or 128:1, but I though the more oil the better and I only mixed a gallon.

After driving it around for an hour I looked to see if I could adjust governor as it only does 15 mph with the big tires. I found that the governor is gone, but more disturbing was an oil like substance on the top of the engine. Any ideas where to start looking for a leak? Cart runs pretty well.

Thanks
Skattracker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-16-2014, 05:46 PM   #2
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Default Re: New guy? 2 Stroke Oil Leak

The only liquid in that engine is the oil gas mixture. Possible leakage areas are head gasket, fuel pump, spark plug, exhaust, intake, carburetor, or shaft seals.

Since you said on top of engine, I would look around the fuel pump, or fuel line.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 08:54 PM   #3
redcloud
Gone Wild

50-1 is stout for that old engine and you may be leaving oil when burning the fuel that is building up in the top end. Do a head check for bolts and a compression check as you may have a blown head gasket. Clean it up and run 128-1 ratio and see if you don't clear it first. You don't say if the oily area is near the exhaust manifold but if it is, once again could be un-burnt oil from high ratio and of course a loose manifold gasket.
redcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 09:09 PM   #4
Skattracker2
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the responses.
I did clean it up and ran it today for 20 min playing the the fresh 12" of snow we got today. No oily residue today. The oil did not smell like gas before so maybe it was just old residue left over.
I think I am going to pull engine out and check it over. I saw rebuild kits for $175 on ebay and for that much money it may be worth just doing so I know what I have. Is there a certain rebuild kits recommended? Is it overkill? Would boring it bigger give much power gain?
Thanks
Skattracker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO