lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-06-2014, 10:34 AM   #1
67txcoupe
Not Yet Wild

Default Just bought a 2008 EZ-GO ST Sport and have some questions/need input

I got a pretty good deal on a 2008 EZ-GO ST Sport with the Kawi 400cc motor. Good running cart that I believe I'm gonna love. However, it is used and there are a few things I'd like to do related to general maintenance and also some upgrades. It's quite a few questions so I'll list em out and would appreciate any input from other owners.

1) It has stock 20" tires mounted on 8" wheels. I have another cart (1999 EZ-GO gas powered with a lift) that has a set of 22" tires on 12" wheels. I'd like to put the 22" tires on my ST Sport....it looks like they'll fit but I'm not 100% sure.

2) I plan on lifting it eventually...just unsure of what will. I'm not sure if this model is unique in some way or does it share a platform with a different model? I know they come with some sort of lift from the factory (like 1 or 2" ??) but would like it to be a little higher. In my mind...I think an additional 4" lift would be perfect.

3) I want it to idle. Where I ride, the shutting off/on is not ideal.

4) I think the primary is worn a bit and will either replace or sent it off to have it machined....then replace the belt.

5) Last (and not least) what rear seat fits this thing?????? Not a big fan of the rear bed but would love to have a rear seat for the kiddos.
67txcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-06-2014, 02:29 PM   #2
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: Just bought a 2008 EZ-GO ST Sport and have some questions/need input

22" are probably going to scrub without a lift. The factory drop axle lift is 4 inches.

You should be able to connect the two wires on the micro switch in the accelerator to make it idle with the key on and will probably have to make some idle adjustments as well.

Mine also had a worn primary so it would squeal and was very annoying... So did the Team clutch upgrade from EZ-Go https://www.shopezgo.com/products/Ka...roduct_id=5866

ST Sport should have the same frame as the TXT carts
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 03:04 PM   #3
67txcoupe
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Just bought a 2008 EZ-GO ST Sport and have some questions/need input

Great to know about the frame.... bet that tidbit will help me along the way.

I like that setup but don't think I'm quite ready to spend quite that much on a clutch system. Relatively speaking....that's actually not a bad price. I ride ATV's and SxS's and the primary/secondary typically runs around $1K (plus whatever the belt costs).

Factory 4" lift...that's not bad. So I should only need a very minor lift to clear 22's (or even 23's).

I might do some research on what you're saying about the wires. I know the only real issues would be the starter not constantly running (as you drive) and also how to lock out the shifter while the vehicle is running.
Old 05-07-2014, 06:45 AM   #4
nobuckbuild
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Be sure and check the rear end when ordering a lift kit i know my original rear end on my workhorse had a different lift requirements , i ended up having to buy a different rear lift kit from jakes , which i have sitting here if you need it since i ended up using a txt axle.
nobuckbuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 06:47 AM   #5
mcdave71
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

The newer style clutch setup is worth every penny. I only have the driven clutch right now but a neighbor has the whole setup and it's very smooth and pulls like crazy. Individual parts can also be found at erlandsontechnology
mcdave71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 06:58 AM   #6
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

I went with the clutch package just because it was just a little more than buying a new original driven clutch. They do sell the pieces but the package is the deal. Just wait for a coupon day
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 07:55 AM   #7
67txcoupe
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobuckbuild View Post
Be sure and check the rear end when ordering a lift kit i know my original rear end on my workhorse had a different lift requirements , i ended up having to buy a different rear lift kit from jakes , which i have sitting here if you need it since i ended up using a txt axle.
Will do. I actually have a 6" lift off a 97 EZ-GO that I MIGHT be able to use part of the lift (I hear the rear lift is different) so I might very much be interested in the rear lift (if it fits). I'm hoping to mess with it a bit today when I get home.
Old 05-07-2014, 08:00 AM   #8
67txcoupe
Not Yet Wild

Coupon Day...huh? Hey, I'm all about a deal!! :-)

I drove it a bit more yesterday and it really makes me want to just break down and buy the whole Team Clutch kit. The engagement is far from smooth (seems to stall up quite a bit before it grabs)...made it a bit difficult to ease into the garage without hitting something. It also did something weird yesterday. The belt seemed to have gotten hung up in the secondary and I had to manually turn the primary while holding the pedal down to "unhang" it. Wondering if the belt is just flat out worn down. Still....once it gets moving I love this thing way more than both the electric and the Subaru-powered EZ-GO's I previously owned.
Old 05-08-2014, 06:07 AM   #9
beater cart
Gone Wild

I was able to install 23'' tires on my cart with the factory lift.
Jakes sells a leveling kit for these carts you may want to look at.
I have 04 ST 350 for a rear seat look at http://www.kentmfg.com/e-z-go-seat-k...oxes-tops.html
beater cart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 04:40 AM   #10
mcdave71
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Front lift will be different as well from yours, you have a rack mounted to the front axle where earlier ones did not. Model change was '01 I believe. So I would think it'll take a whole new lift kit. Jake's for '09 and up kit is the one I got.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67txcoupe View Post
Will do. I actually have a 6" lift off a 97 EZ-GO that I MIGHT be able to use part of the lift (I hear the rear lift is different) so I might very much be interested in the rear lift (if it fits). I'm hoping to mess with it a bit today when I get home.
mcdave71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO