lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-06-2014, 06:29 PM   #11
jdhog
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Yamaha G2 starting problems

Well I got it to start. Now it just has no power. Getting closer.
jdhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-06-2014, 07:15 PM   #12
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Put the airbox back on.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 08:17 PM   #13
jdhog
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

I had the air box on. I think my old carb is on it's last legs. I unscrewed the pilot screw and the point on it is crooked.
Old 08-06-2014, 08:37 PM   #14
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhog View Post
I had the air box on. I think my old carb is on it's last legs. I unscrewed the pilot screw and the point on it is crooked.
Yep, sounds like it was fixed with an impact wrench in a previous life. Now you have a important choice to make, oem or aftermarket carb. Oem carb is from "mikuni", i call the aftermarket carb "mik-oh-no", it has mikuni spelled wrong on the casting. Oem is best, and most $. Aftermarket is "hit-or-miss" (some not good), carbs can be difficult to return if its been installed. Most places have a strict "no return" policy on carbs that have been installed.

BTW, Whats your compression?
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 08:43 PM   #15
jdhog
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
Yep, sounds like it was fixed with an impact wrench in a previous life. Now you have a important choice to make, oem or aftermarket carb. Oem carb is from "mikuni", i call the aftermarket carb "mik-oh-no", it has mikuni spelled wrong on the casting. Oem is best, and most $. Aftermarket is "hit-or-miss" (some not good), carbs can be difficult to return if its been installed. Most places have a strict "no return" policy on carbs that have been installed.

BTW, Whats your compression?
Thank you for that info.

I've yet to borrow a tool to measure the compression.
Old 08-11-2014, 12:51 PM   #16
jdhog
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

OK. My new carb came in and I installed it along with a new spacer and gaskets. The cart is still doing the same thing. It just won't run right. It it like it has a miss.

Should I now start looking at the ignition system?

One crazy thing: I was monkeying around checking for bad connections and unplugged the red/white and green wires from the starter/generator. The cart seems to run a little better with those wires unplugged. It doesn't run right, just a little better. What does that tell us?
Old 08-11-2014, 01:00 PM   #17
motojoe1988
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I had just traded a pit bike for my g2 a few weeks back (I'm new to carts) and had to rebuild the top end because it was smoking and after replacing the piston and rings it now won't start. Narrowed it down to the starter. Now waiting on a starter in the mail tomorrow. Had to tap on the starter with a hammer to get it to turn over. Was reading 0 volts as I was hitting the gas pedal. Hope the starter is my only issue. I was popping fuses left and right before this happend also rewired the rear lights and had a short. Disconnected All lights and radio then starter was an issue. Hope to get it running soon.
motojoe1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 03:34 PM   #18
jdhog
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

I just checked my compression and it is above 160lbs.
Old 08-11-2014, 07:25 PM   #19
jdhog
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

I think I have found my whole problem. The negative terminal on the starter appears to be broken. I took the starter out of the cart and took the cap off the starter. The negative terminal will spin. It has broken loose inside. Is there anyway to solder this back on?
Old 08-15-2014, 04:36 PM   #20
jdhog
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Hey guys. Wanted to let everybody know that my cart is now fixed and running great. My starter had a broken ground terminal. A new starter has me back on the road.

Thanks for all your replies.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha