lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-25-2014, 01:35 PM   #1
goldwinger
Gone Wild

Default OK on battery

Well I installed 3 12 volt deep cycle batterys that was gave to me by a interstate dealer for demos on the 3 batterys.but my question is this!! can I use a 36 volt charger on it or do I have to charge the 12 volt batterys 1 by 1 with a 12 volt charger??????
goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-25-2014, 02:00 PM   #2
rlw
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Location: Southeast Ohio -- "The Toenails of the Foothills of Appalachia"
Default Re: OK on battery

You should be able to use the standard charger.

Does the cart move with the 3 12V batteries, or do you need to charge 'em first?

On another note, is there some reason you start a new thread for each question about this cart? You'd probably get better responses if you put all your posts/questions regarding this cart in a single thread.

Just a suggestion...

RLW
rlw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 02:33 PM   #3
goldwinger
Gone Wild

it moves slow.but the the batterys had from 13.3 to 12.67 volts
goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 09:16 PM   #4
rlw
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Location: Southeast Ohio -- "The Toenails of the Foothills of Appalachia"

Goldwinger,

Sounds like at least one battery is low. Check the electrolyte levels in all batteries and make sure that the plates in all cells are covered with electrolyte. If any are exposed, add just enough distilled water to cover them. Be sure to use distilled water, not tap water or mineral water. Where I live, a gallon costs about a buck at any local grocery store.

I'd use a 12V charger to bring the other two batteries up to the same voltage as the one that's at 13.3 before I used a 36V charger.

After charging, the batteries will read a little high due to surface charge. A short ride for about 5-10 minutes will get them to their "real" voltage, and hopefully they'll be closer to each other.

Check the electrolyte level again and top it up with distilled water to about 1/4" below the bottom of the filler tube.

After discharging them to about 80% SOC (state-of-charge) or about 37.5V, check the individual voltages again. If they're close (within 0.1-0.2V of each other), you can use the 36V charger. If they're off, use the 12V charger on individual batteries to get them closer.

There are other folks that follow this forum who know a helluva lot more about batteries than I do. Hopefully one or more of them will chime in if I've suggested something that's out of whack.

Good luck!

RLW
rlw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 08:13 AM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

@ rlw: You've got it pretty well covered.

@ goldwinger: I'm not sure what this statement means. "Well I installed 3 12 volt deep cycle batterys that was gave to me by a interstate dealer for demos on the 3 batterys."

Did the dealer give you three model number 12VGC batteries?
Are the batteries new or used?
Does the dealer expect the batteries returned?
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 08:23 AM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Basically deep cycle batteries are not designed for golf carts. They will not perform well or last long in this use. Your dealer should know that.
Ask him how his batteries are going to handle a 300a draw?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO