lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-23-2014, 10:10 AM   #1
notsobadbotbuggy
Not Yet Wild

Default Circuit voltage for '96 36v EZGO DCS

I have inherited a 1996 DCS cart which is giving me fits trying to get running. I initially identified that the controller was defective (not engaging the solenoid) based on helpful posts to this forum so I had it rebuilt. I re-installed the controller and the solenoid engages correctly and voltage look good but the first time I pressed the pedal, I saw smoke from the controller and the cart didn't move so I'm afraid I have toasted my newly rebuilt controller once again. My question is what is the circuit resistance that the battery should see with the pedal pressed? I obviously have a short somewhere and I want to ensure it is fixed before frying another controller.
notsobadbotbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-23-2014, 01:11 PM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Circuit voltage for '96 36v EZGO DCS

The DCS controller feeds the armature and field windings separately.
The motors armature winding will probably be about 1Ω and and the field will probably be about 3Ω.

There should be no continuity between the armature and field windings and neither should have continuity to the motor case. (There may be some on older motors due to carbon dust from the brushes, but worst case should be >100kΩ)

Also check for warn insulation on the F1&F2 cables. (See attached)

Does cart move freely when pushed by hand? (A stalled or seized motor draws a lot of amps)

Also attached it how to test the motor to see if it runs.

----------
Don't waste any more money on DCS controllers. They are problems waiting for a place to happen.
Install an Alltrax DCX400 (or larger), they are far more reliable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Worn field wire insulation.jpg (593.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Motor Test - Sepex.jpg (91.7 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 09:22 PM   #3
notsobadbotbuggy
Not Yet Wild

Thank you JohnnieB..
I disconnected the cables to my motor annd see 1.7ohms between the field (S1 > S2) and 2.6 between the armature (A1 > A2) but I also measure 650K Ohms between the Armature and Field windings (A1 > S1) I also tested the motor following the diagram you provided and the motor operated correctly. I am thinking the motor is okay but am concerned about the resistance between armature and field windings. Thank you again for your help!
Old 12-24-2014, 07:22 AM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by notsobadbotbuggy View Post
Thank you JohnnieB..
I disconnected the cables to my motor annd see 1.7ohms between the field (S1 > S2) and 2.6 between the armature (A1 > A2) but I also measure 650K Ohms between the Armature and Field windings (A1 > S1) I also tested the motor following the diagram you provided and the motor operated correctly. I am thinking the motor is okay but am concerned about the resistance between armature and field windings. Thank you again for your help!
Carbon dust gets all over everything inside the motor as the brushes wear and carbon is a conductor, so getting a slight ohmic reading between the windings and between the windings and the motor case is inevitable. These undesired current paths do reduce the motor's efficiency, but not noticeably so until the ohmic values get a lot lower than 650kΩ.

Considering the motor is approaching two decades of use, new brushes, a new shaft bearing and a thorough cleaning is something to consider, but I'm fairly certain the motor didn't smoke the rebuilt controller.
Old 12-24-2014, 10:09 AM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Statistically "rebuilt" controllers (they should be called repaired because that is what they are - not rebuilt) are a failure waiting to happen. Remanufactures , rebuilders, reapairers (whatever you call them) simply replace the failed component(s) and send the control back into service.
These controls usually fail again soon as component damage is accumulative. And these controls are often 15-20 years old.
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 10:47 AM   #6
notsobadbotbuggy
Not Yet Wild

So I traced my wires last night and found that one side of my Field winding (S1) was swapped with one of the Armature windings (A1). After fixing that, I was able to get the cart to run in reverse temporarily before it quite. I figured it was because the batteries were dead so I charged them over night and this morning it still does nothing in either direction. I measured the battery after charging overnight and was reading 37.2v which dropped to 35.2v when the pedal was pressed. Do these numbers seem correct? If so, it looks like my controller is shot.
Old 12-24-2014, 10:52 AM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I thought A and S terminals were different size to prevent such a thing from happening?
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 11:33 AM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
I thought A and S terminals were different size to prevent such a thing from happening?
The A and F terminals on a PDS motor are different sizes, but I'm not sure about the A and S terminals on a DCS motor.

In the picture of a DCS motor EZGO has on their parts website, the studs all look the same size. And the motor in the picture is a sepex motor.
https://shop.ezgo.com/products/Elect...ol-System.html

Sepex controllers are actually two controllers in one box. The armature windings draw 10 to 20 times the amps the field windings do, so cross-wiring the two sets of windings will take out their respective controllers.
Old 12-24-2014, 11:38 AM   #9
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by notsobadbotbuggy View Post
So I traced my wires last night and found that one side of my Field winding (S1) was swapped with one of the Armature windings (A1). After fixing that, I was able to get the cart to run in reverse temporarily before it quite. I figured it was because the batteries were dead so I charged them over night and this morning it still does nothing in either direction. I measured the battery after charging overnight and was reading 37.2v which dropped to 35.2v when the pedal was pressed. Do these numbers seem correct? If so, it looks like my controller is shot.
well actually if your battery pack was FULLY charged it should be reading 38.2v.......but at 37.2v it certainly would run with no problems. and the fact that it dropped to 35.2v as the pedal was pushed and held down isn't a problem.....as what you are seeing is called the RUNNING Voltage.....and that number (35.2v) is fine.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 10:34 AM   #10
notsobadbotbuggy
Not Yet Wild

I ran thru the test steps found in the sticky posts on this page and it unfortunately appears that I have a bad controller again but I wanted to post the results since test 5 produced results that I wasn't sure were correct. I have also tested the motor and it operated correctly so the controller remains the primary suspect but I want to ensure I haven't missed something before ordering a new one. The tests were performed after charging the battery for 12 hours (38.2v) and the first reading is the voltage seen with the run/tow switch in the "Run" position and the key "On" and the second reading is the same but with the accel pedal pressed. Thanks in advance for all your help.

test 1: B+ @ 36v = PASS (38.1v and 35.7v)
test 2: Pin #10 @ 36v = PASS (37.8v and 35.6v)
test 3: Pin #9 @ 36v = PASS (37.7v and 35.6v)
test 4: Pin #5 @ 36v = PASS (Relay DOES click and reads 0v then 35.3v with pedal pressed)
test 5: Pin #7 @ 36v = Not sure (37.5v and 0V)
test 6: Pin #2 @ 13-15v = PASS (13.8v and 13.8v)
test 7: Pin #1 @ 0.4-1.6v = PASS (0.5 - 1.6v)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO