lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-12-2015, 05:44 PM   #1
mattadata
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Charging US Battery with PowerWise QE charger

My 36V pack of six 6 volt Trojan T105s is officially dead. Time for new ones.
I am thinking of going with US Battery 1800s

Will my EZGO PowerWise QE charger charge they properly? I have read a few threads that state US Battery are sometimes under charged. Is this the case with the EZGO PowerWise QE charger?

Thanks!
mattadata is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-12-2015, 06:34 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: Charging US Battery with PowerWise QE charger

In my opinion, they will likely be undercharged. EZGOs opinion may differ, they are basically telling us that their charger uses "Dv/Dt" type profile, so its suitable for both brands (i say baloney). But, i have also heard that US changed their construction some, and it now more closely matches a Trojan charge profile (i have a little indication in the field this may be true). Isnt the US1800 lower Ah capacity than the T-105? I wouldnt want to go backwards with Ah capacity.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 09:27 PM   #3
mattadata
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Yes, the US Battery 1800 has less capacity than my current T105s. It is my understanding that capacity = range. I really don't need much range, the most I would ever drive in one day is 8 miles on flat roads.

This cart has a budget, and I am trying to stretch it. In my area I can get packs of 6 for:
US Battery 1800 6 volt for $435
US Battery 2200 6 volt for $555
Trojan T105 6 volt for $590

The sweet spot seems to be the 1800s. If I needed the extra range, I would skip the 2200 and spend the $35 more for the T105s.

Just hoping my PowerWise QE can charge them. Because spending extra on a new charger would certainly blow the budget!
Old 02-13-2015, 12:43 AM   #4
cgtech

Yamaha

Get the most Ah possible because the less that you discharge them every time you use them the longer the pack will last. the less that you discharge them every time you use them has a direct equation to how long they will last, in years. This makes a difference if you were going to be using it for longer trips ( discharging the batteies more than 50%).
Old 02-13-2015, 12:58 AM   #5
cgtech

Yamaha

If I was building a car for myself, I would sell the qe and get a dpi (best deal & US made). To "flip", that's your decision
Old 02-13-2015, 09:51 AM   #6
mattadata
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks for your input, I am keeping this cart for a long time. I may reconsider the battery choice.
Old 02-13-2015, 03:17 PM   #7
sunking
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattadata View Post
Yes, the US Battery 1800 has less capacity than my current T105s. It is my understanding that capacity = range. I really don't need much range, the most I would ever drive in one day is 8 miles on flat roads.
It effects more than range which you may not be aware of. It also effects how much current the battery can deliver which is going to effect acceleration and speed going up hills.

Secondly a Trojan 225 AH battery is not equal to a US battery 225 AH battery. The Trojan has slightly lower internal resistance which means it can deliver more current.

Secondly a US Battery is only going to last you a couple of years if taken care of, and a Trojan will last 3 or 4 years. So long term Trojan is the better value and higher performer.
sunking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 06:46 AM   #8
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

One final thought. The thing that kills batteries more is how long they stay discharged. If your 8 mile trip is fairly short before you can recharge, that has a lower impact on longevity than if you drive somewhere and stay all day, leaving them discharged longer, before you recharge.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 12:41 PM   #9
mattadata
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

So I took everyone's advice and went with the Trojans. I sold my Powerwise charger on Ebay and bought a used DPI charge on Ebay. Very happy with all the results!
Old 05-21-2015, 02:45 PM   #10
cgtech

Yamaha

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO