lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-02-2015, 09:32 PM   #1
mclldavidson
Not Yet Wild

Default I picked up an old Yamaha gas golf cart

I got got it from someone needing money for $400. I test drove it, all was good. I got it home and have drove it a few times, I have to choke it for a few seconds then it will be fine but it does smoke and backfires. Today I go to start it and it will not turn over or even act like it will. I am thinking my kids were messing with it while I was at work, I noticed where you put the key in was loose and I could turn it by hand. I connected jumper cables at the solenoid(I think that is it) and it turned over and started. In the process I blew a fuse(25A), I also noticed a loose wire that looks like it should be connected to something but do not see anywhere in length range that it should go to. I have not did any service to it yet and I notice it seems like it could go much faster than it does, I get to around 10-12 and it feels like it is constantly backing off. Any help on maintenance things to do and help with it starting would greatly appreciated
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20150602_212024028.jpg (39.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 4565.jpg (193.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 4567.jpg (96.4 KB, 0 views)
mclldavidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-03-2015, 06:53 AM   #2
willis68nova
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: I picked up an old Yamaha gas golf cart

First thing I would do is identity your cart. Try this link.
http://yamahagolfcar.com/overview/

And also read over this too:
http://www.cartsunlimited.net/FAQ.html

Others should chime in here soon and some will know what that is just by looking at it. For some reason I am thinking it is a G16, I could be and probably am wrong....
willis68nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 07:00 AM   #3
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

I believe that it's a G14. Newer G16 style cowl, but the air filter is not G16.

Here's the wire diagram...http://www.cunninghamgolfcar.com/ima...aha%20G14A.pdf

The loose connector may be for the reverse buzzer.
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 08:50 AM   #4
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by willis68nova View Post
First thing I would do is identity your cart. Try this link.
http://yamahagolfcar.com/overview/

And also read over this too:
http://www.cartsunlimited.net/FAQ.html

Others should chime in here soon and some will know what that is just by looking at it. For some reason I am thinking it is a G16, I could be and probably am wrong....
Just run the serial # on the carts unlimited site and see if it is a G14.Then you will want to know if it is a 95 will read jn3-1##### or 96 which will be jn3-2#####. These 2 models have different rear ends,brakes, and front end steering parts.I have a G14 and have found out the 2 years differ on those parts and maybe more than I have found out.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 08:55 AM   #5
mclldavidson
Not Yet Wild

On the frame I have a tag that says JN3-100907 and on the engine it says JN3-000305
Old 06-03-2015, 09:56 AM   #6
mclldavidson
Not Yet Wild

I just bought a multimeter and am not real sure how to use it but I put it on 200 V and the battery shows 12.4 v, I will try looking up how to test the solenoid and go from there
Old 06-03-2015, 11:39 AM   #7
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclldavidson View Post
On the frame I have a tag that says JN3-100907 and on the engine it says JN3-000305
That is a 95 G14 just like mine.Which means it probably has the g2-9 rear end,brakes,and tie rod ends.
Old 06-03-2015, 11:47 AM   #8
mclldavidson
Not Yet Wild

I can bridge the two big + posts on the solenoid and it will turn over
Old 06-03-2015, 11:48 AM   #9
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclldavidson View Post
I got got it from someone needing money for $400. I test drove it, all was good. I got it home and have drove it a few times, I have to choke it for a few seconds then it will be fine but it does smoke and backfires. Today I go to start it and it will not turn over or even act like it will. I am thinking my kids were messing with it while I was at work, I noticed where you put the key in was loose and I could turn it by hand. I connected jumper cables at the solenoid(I think that is it) and it turned over and started. In the process I blew a fuse(25A), I also noticed a loose wire that looks like it should be connected to something but do not see anywhere in length range that it should go to. I have not did any service to it yet and I notice it seems like it could go much faster than it does, I get to around 10-12 and it feels like it is constantly backing off. Any help on maintenance things to do and help with it starting would greatly appreciated
My stop start switch under the floor gave me erratic starting for a while.Once it died completely I figured out what was wrong.I jumped the switch and have used it as key start ever since.But if children use the cart that would not be a good idea except for testing if that part is your problem.Once you get it to turn over reliably I would run a compression test to see how your engine is for wear.
Old 06-03-2015, 12:42 PM   #10
kip_66
Not Yet Wild

I too recently picked up a Yamaha Gas Golf Cart (G9) it is in great shape, starts and runs fine as long as the battery is charged..I assume the brushes have gone bad on the starter/generator because eventually the battery wears down, so its not being charged when it's running. But then if the brushes have gone bad, how is it starting? Any thoughts??
I only paid $200 at a garage sale for it, so I certainly dont mind putting some money into it to make it nice..

Thank you for any and all replys..

Kip
U.S. ARMY
kip_66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha