lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-14-2015, 02:01 PM   #11
scubabud
Ban Puppy Mills & Stores!

Club Car

Default Re: stainless steel washers

http://www.trojanbattery.com/pdf/WP_...Guide_0512.pdf

Going to test this URL again...

I purchased 4 12 volt Trojans in the later part of last year and they did not come with Lock Washers.

I did have lock washers on my previous batteries without any problems, but did notice this time that the nuts seem to not need as much adjustment without them.

As far as the URL what I liked most about it was their infrared pictures showing crimped cables verses crimped and soldered cables and their heat build up.
scubabud is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-14-2015, 02:05 PM   #12
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Just my opinion...

On my 98 48V, I preferred to use washers between the nut and cable end,
so the cable end wouldn't twist on the final torque of the nut, and I never had a problem!

lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 03:27 PM   #13
scooterman
Gone Wild

Club Car

The cable connector must make full contact with as much of the lead post as possible, any washer in between would reduce the current transfer of the battery to the cable. The split washer (on top of the connector) and nut are just used to secure it to that surface. The split washer needs to be tightened until it is flush, no more. I use a 1/2" boxed end wrench and tighten snug, this will prevent the nut from backing loose and thus overheating the terminal. The current flows from the battery post to the cable connector so you need all of that surface area to make a good connection. Stainless isn't as good of a conductor as the lead and the connector (usually copper clad).
scooterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 04:43 PM   #14
crash test dummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterman View Post
I use a 1/2" boxed end wrench and tighten snug
that's another thing all the new stainless nuts are 9/16"
Old 06-14-2015, 04:48 PM   #15
scooterman
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash test dummy View Post
that's another thing all the new stainless nuts are 9/16"
lol weird but nothing wrong with that, without the lock washer, over time the vibration would possibly could loosen up the cable and cause trouble. I say possibly because I bet anyone not using a split washer is probably tightening them up more than it should. Is the post actually the same size or larger, that would be better? I don't have a inch pound torque wrench but that would be the politically correct way to tighten them.
Old 06-14-2015, 06:22 PM   #16
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

110 inch lb. is appx 9 ft lb.

My battery dealer said to NOT us any washers. I check mine every month and have not found one loose. I don't torque them, just snug them down. I would call it tighten until the nut and lug are all touching with no looseness then 1/4 to 1/2 turn of the nut. Been fine so far. Just keep everything clean and dry.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 06:32 PM   #17
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

I don't recall any type of loose washers on my cart bought refurbished from fleet use but the Crown replacement batteries came with nuts that have a captive external tooth lock washer which are by far my favorite as I've had split lock washers break and leave me with serious issues on board ship with loose high amperage electrical connections as well as a broken tiller arm in the steering compartment of a 550-ft ship... Where the consequences are high we only use double nuts with locking agents now...

http://www.mcmaster.com/#90675a030/=xmjgu5
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 07:12 PM   #18
scooterman
Gone Wild

Club Car

It really doesn't matter, the matter is making sure the cable connector is in direct contact to the terminal post, weather or not to use a washer isn't a big deal, that is why you hear guys saying not to use a washer because some people will put it in the wrong place. Captive nuts are great but the split if use in the proper application worn't cause you trouble either, they all have a a specific application.
Old 06-14-2015, 10:27 PM   #19
rib33024

They come from the factory with no washers. Now the nylon lock nuts can be a problem. if the battery terminal gets hot, like they do. It will melt the plastic in the nut and they will be loose, more problems.
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 05:29 AM   #20
scooterman
Gone Wild

Club Car

Not stainless split washers, nylon lock nuts yes.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car