lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-15-2015, 05:46 AM   #21
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: stainless steel washers

Quote:
Originally Posted by rib33024 View Post
They come from the factory with no washers. Now the lock nuts can be a problem. if the battery terminal gets hot, like they do. It will melt the plastic in the nut and they will be loose, more problems.
Considering that it takes 428 degree F to melt nylon and 266 degree F to melt the polypropylene battery case itself I think you got much bigger issues if that happens...
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-15-2015, 03:17 PM   #22
jjance
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Crown replacement batteries came with nuts that have a captive external tooth lock washer
I've had those lock washers split. And no I didn't over tighten them and I used a torque wrench.
jjance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 06:54 PM   #23
stang99x
Gone Wild

Most batteries come with lock washers these days. I've installed Trojan, US Battery, Crown, Duracell, and so forth and most all come with washers on them these days. Sometimes I use them, sometimes I don't. There is no real benefit or cost in using them. If you want to, use them. If you don't, then don't. All they really do is take up 1/8" of thread on the post.
stang99x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 08:56 AM   #24
scubabud
Ban Puppy Mills & Stores!

Club Car

Found this from Trojan's 2015 Plus Series users guide, link below:

3.3 Correct Hardware* Installation
If using washers, it is very important to ensure the battery cable lug connection is contacting the lead surface of the terminal, and the washer is placed on top of the wire connection. Do not place washer between the terminal lead and the battery wire, which creates high resistance and can cause terminal meltdown.

The asterisk was to reference that Trojan does not supply the washers...

http://www.trojanbattery.com/pdf/Tro...UsersGuide.pdf
scubabud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 09:12 AM   #25
scooterman
Gone Wild

Club Car

LOL if you look back at my post that is exactly how I explained it, also BTW the flat washer isn't provided but the split washer is if you look closely at the manual.
scooterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 09:23 AM   #26
scubabud

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterman View Post
LOL if you look back at my post that is exactly how I explained it, also BTW the flat washer isn't provided but the split washer is if you look closely at the manual.
The purpose of the post was to show that Trojan, not Scooterman does talk about the use of washers, unlike the previous post that I submitted using a 2012 weblink. The washers provided were not for Flooded Batteries, but AMG, etc. If you see where they show provided on Flooded please copy and paste it here for us.

Thanks
Old 06-16-2015, 09:34 AM   #27
scooterman
Gone Wild

Club Car

Ahh Ok I got ya, yea they don't show the washers on the flooded batteries but I got them with my last set. FOO-PA! LOL
scooterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 09:46 AM   #28
scubabud

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterman View Post
Ahh Ok I got ya, yea they don't show the washers on the flooded batteries but I got them with my last set. FOO-PA! LOL
Like I mentioned in one of my posts, I used the lock washers on my 12 volt batteries for over 6 years and like most here always made sure of my connections on a regular basis. This last set I got a few months ago only came with SS nuts and that's how I have them setup now. We always hear this or that but it's nice to know that even Trojan shows washers and or lock washers in use on their batteries, but states with good sense that the cable should always be making contact with the battery terminal first.
Old 02-03-2016, 04:15 PM   #29
geonjay
Not Yet Wild

I submitted a question to Trojan to get their opinion

"All hardware should be a high grade stainless for protection against acid attack. Be careful choosing lock nuts because a lock nut will lock into place once screwed onto stud and could cause damage when trying to remove. A tight lock nut can cause the head of the stud to turn inside the terminal lead which damages the battery terminal. The half thickness lock nuts (jam nut) will create a lock against themselves and not damage the battery when removing. Any nut locking directly to the stud will create a problem when trying to remove."

So I guess I'll use two jam nuts..I wonder if my torque wrench will be able to work with those
geonjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 06:41 PM   #30
crash test dummy

jam nuts ??
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car