lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-16-2015, 07:01 PM   #1
mclldavidson
Not Yet Wild

Default What size oil drain plug?

I stripped my thread on my oil pan, I have the original plug in now but it will not tighten all the way. I was looking to get a universal style that can possibly work in a G14, I think that is what mine is.
mclldavidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-16-2015, 08:31 PM   #2
Bubba75
My wife says I'm crazy...

Yamaha

Think the oem plug is $4. Be worth a trip to the dealer
Bubba75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 08:38 PM   #3
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: What size oil drain plug?

Aluminum = softer than steel. You probably need the aluminum engine block ("oil pan") repaired. The threads in the bottom of the aluminum engine probably look worse than the steel drain plug threads. The next common size up is 1/2", you may be able to drill & tap the block to accept that size if the engine threads are trashed. I have done it before, but go slow, remove & clean tap often, and keep tap covered with grease to catch debris.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 04:44 PM   #4
LimitedEdition
Gone Wild
Yamaha

The oil drain plug on my cart is striped also and has a slow drip that eventually builds up on the frame before hitting the ground. I have it at the gulf coast right now and doing a proper repair isn’t convent now. I found a temporary solution for now until I bring it home at the end of the summer. I am going to AutoZone today to pick up one of these for now. http://www.autozone.com/external-eng...ug/256832_0_0/
Robert
LimitedEdition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 08:46 PM   #5
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Dummy link... Best of luck..
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 05:39 AM   #6
gray horse
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Link worked for me. Should work as a temporary fix.
gray horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 10:23 AM   #7
LimitedEdition
Gone Wild
Yamaha

The AutoZone link worked on my desktop and our ipad, but when I tried it on my iphone5 the link was hijacked by an app offering. To get it to work on my phone I had to select (use full site) and then I could get it to work. Part Number: 652006

Robert
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (11.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-16-2015, 02:14 PM   #8
LimitedEdition
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Well the temporary oil drain plug has worked, not a drop of oil leaking on the underside. I will be bringing the cart home from the gulf coast soon after a good workout. I have a few changes I would like to make along with repairs and a good cleaning.
Old 08-18-2015, 04:59 PM   #9
LimitedEdition
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Question, what is the correct torque value for tightening the engine oil drain plug? In the Owner’s / Operator’s Manual for my 2011 G29 it states the [Drain plug torque: 31 Nm, 3.1 m-kg (23 ft-lb). When I did this after my first oil change that is when I realized my drain plug was striped. If this is the correct value then my drain plug was striped before I got it. If this is a misprint then what is the correct value. As Cgtech has stated above Aluminum is softer than steel, the threads on the plug are full of Aluminum. I have a temporary plug in it for now and plan on making a proper repair after I bring the cart home this weekend. It would be good to know if I can trust the specs in the Owner’s Manual.
Robert
4. Install the drain plug, along with
a new drain plug gasket, fingertight
before tightening to the
following torque:
Drain plug torque:
31 Nm, 3.1 m.kg
(23 ft.lb)
Old 08-31-2020, 07:28 PM   #10
Role
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by LimitedEdition View Post
Well the temporary oil drain plug has worked, not a drop of oil leaking on the underside. I will be bringing the cart home from the gulf coast soon after a good workout. I have a few changes I would like to make along with repairs and a good cleaning.

Not sure why anyone would suggest a 1/2in Universal Oil Drain Plug - no way that's going to fit into the original oil drain plug hole.

Needs to be more like a 3/8 size so it can seat all the way into the plug hole to then be tigthened and push outward.
Role is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha