lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-31-2016, 09:55 PM   #1
yerigga
Not Yet Wild

Default 87 Club car drive clutch

I have an 87 club car that i need to replace the drive clutch on. I have saw some people talk about using clutches off newer models. I was wondering if this is true and if so what year ranges would be compatible with my cart
The only reason i am asking is i would like to find a used clutch to save some money and haven't been able to source one yet and am trying to open up my search options.
yerigga is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-31-2016, 11:22 PM   #2
BuggieMaverick
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 87 Club car drive clutch

I replied in the classified section, but in case you don't see it, you are stuck finding a '84 to '87 replacement clutch, but I don't know of anywhere that still makes or sells drive clutches for '84 to '87. I also haven't seen replacement parts for '84 to '87 drive clutches. This forces you to replace both clutches to newer styles. It will upgrade you to a 1" belt drive so you will need a new 1" belt.

Its a strange situation, you need a drive clutch and my driveN clutch has been giving me problems. One of us could get a working set while the other would need to upgrade.

(Update): It looks like you don't have enough posts yet for private messages. I've been having shift issues which I believe is my driveN (transmission) clutch. I believe my drive clutch is still in good working condition (its spotless on the outside at least). I ordered parts to rebuild my driveN clutch and then I'll be able to confirm if my drive clutch is good. I'd be willing to trade my '84 drive clutch for a used newer style drive clutch, or possibly just sell it. We could work out the finer details of a trade or sale once you get enough posts for private messaging.
BuggieMaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 06:21 AM   #3
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerigga View Post
I have an 87 club car that i need to replace the drive clutch on. I have saw some people talk about using clutches off newer models. I was wondering if this is true and if so what year ranges would be compatible with my cart
The only reason i am asking is i would like to find a used clutch to save some money and haven't been able to source one yet and am trying to open up my search options.
You can order a stock drive clutch for 1988-1996 gas Club Cars and they will fit directly in place of your old-style clutch. One note though, at the time the newer-style clutches were introduced, the driven clutches were also redesigned. The newer style clutches moved the belt closer to the motor and transaxle by about 3/8". So if you get a new drive clutch but don't replace the driven clutch as well, your belt will not wear correctly which could cause some issues down the road. Same deal with the driven clutches, order one to fit a 1988-1996 cart and you'll be good to go.

Here's a photo illustrating the clutch mismatch (when I made the photo I didn't realize that same clutches fit all the way up to 1996). This would be the flip side of the issue you would have (as you may be using a newer drive clutch/older driven clutch), but the issue is the same either way:

Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 09:25 AM   #4
yerigga
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the feedback guys. So it sounds like I will need to get a newer drive and driven clutch and belt to get this thing going.
yerigga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 10:32 AM   #5
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

That would be my recommendation. Check eBay, sometimes you'll find good used stuff for a fraction of the price of new.
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car