lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-30-2016, 09:50 AM   #11
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: EZGO 36v goes real slow

With 35.8 on the orange wire whether F/R is in F or R means your controller is running in 1/2 speed mode all the time.

The microswitch (MS-4) appears to be wired correctly, so either the switch is bad or the lever that opens the NC (normally closed) contacts isn't being pushed by the rotating cam when in any position except R.

That needs to be fixed, but for testing, just remove the orange wire from the MS-4 and your cart ought to run at full speed in F (and R).
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-30-2016, 10:07 AM   #12
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Excellent detective work JohnnieB
Your patience amazes me.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 11:35 AM   #13
TappanDan
Not Yet Wild

Ok, I just ordered some pointy probes from Amazon, should be here in a couple of days. Did I get the right orange wire? Is the circled one the one you wanted me to test? Thanks!
TappanDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 11:43 AM   #14
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Yes, that is the one.

Just disconnect it from the switch and see if the cart starts running at full speed.

There may be some other issues keeping the top speed down, but that ought to get it back to where it was.
Old 11-04-2016, 05:40 PM   #15
TappanDan
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Excellent detective work JohnnieB
Your patience amazes me.
More amazing to me!
Old 11-04-2016, 05:45 PM   #16
TappanDan
Not Yet Wild

This cart lives at my lake house an hour and a half south of my home. That's the reason for the delays between posts. I don't know whether I'll get down there this weekend, but I can't wait to try pulling that wire! I will let you know as soon as I can.
Old 11-10-2016, 09:24 PM   #17
TappanDan
Not Yet Wild

Holy Cannoli! That did it! When I pulled that orange wire, it did indeed restore it to full speed, in forward and reverse.

So I took it apart and checked it out. I see now how the roller cam activates that micro switch. When you push the lever on that switch it makes a very audible click when it activates. Well, the roller cam was not pushing the lever quite far enough to activate it.

It is mounted in 2 fixed holes on the F/R switch plate, so I never thought they might be out of position. But when I loosened the mounting screws, there was just the slightest amount of play, maybe 1mm, but it was just enough to keep the lever far away enough from the cam that it did not activate it. When I tightened up the screws, I pushed down on the micro switch to keep it closer to the cam, and then the cam just barely activated it.

I removed the switch again and bent the lever out just a bit. Now, when the F/R lever is in R, the cam activates it properly, and the voltage drops to zero on that orange wire contact.

The batteries ran down before I fully tested it, but it had enough charge that I could tell the difference in speed. So I know the whole thing is fixed now. It's funny how it turned out to be a very simple problem in the end, but you still have to know where to look!

Johnny, I can't thank you enough! I would not have spent the money on a shop to fix this cart, so you really saved it for me. You spent a lot of time on this with me, and I appreciate it. Judging from the number of posts you've made, you must really enjoy helping people like this, and I'm glad you do! If you're ever around Akron, Ohio, pm me. I would love to buy you dinner and some beers! :thum bup:
Old 11-11-2016, 09:44 AM   #18
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Glad to hear you got it fixed.

I don't play golf and had never seen the innards of a golf cart until I bought a used one in the summer of 2011. While I have a background in electronics and electromechanical devices and troubleshooting, my golf cart specific knowledge either came directly from this forum or as a result of research stemming from topics discussed here, so I am paying it forward. And, yes I enjoy doing it.
Old 05-28-2022, 02:45 PM   #19
Dgraves0609
Not Yet Wild

I know this is an old thread but I’m having the same issue on a 97 txt series cart. I didn’t replace the f/r switch but I have done all the Tests that johnnie has said to do. My battery pack is 38 volts resting and 36.8 under load. I did the b+,b-,m- test all were within .6v. I tested the orange wire it has 0 volts in f and 37.9 in R. My cart goes around 7-8 mph on flat ground but crawls going up any hill. Takes off from a stop hard enough to spin the tires on our stone driveway. Not sure what else I can test. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Dgraves0609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO