lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-14-2017, 11:06 PM   #1
BigShowDuramax
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Default moving f/r switch

I searched but can't seem to find an answer to this. Is there any way to move the f/r switch from under the seat to on the dash? I have seen many carts have a on/off/on toggle switch on the dash and I would think that it is much more convenient than under the seat.
BigShowDuramax is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-15-2017, 09:49 AM   #2
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

Default Re: moving f/r switch

No gas powered Yamaha has a "switch" for F and R. G1, excepted.
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 03:12 PM   #3
BigShowDuramax
Getting Wild

Yamaha

oh, ok. I didn't think about there being a difference with gas/electric. Is there any way to covert a gas to the electric switch? I confess that I haven't so much as lifted the seat to check it out, I was just wondering if it was possible or if there were any complications to it if it is possible.
Old 01-15-2017, 04:02 PM   #4
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

Anything is possible. The switch would need to control a motor driven actuator to physically turn the F&R lever and move the cables. Not something I would consider doing.
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 06:14 PM   #5
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

The 4 cycle carts use a cable shifter to shift the gears in the trans, the G1 runs backwards and is done electrically with solenoids that change the polarity for the engine/starter.

They do sell kits to make the shifter into a forward/back shifter like a car. You could fabricate a shifter with a rod and mount it forward with the cable unit still in back. You could find longer cables and mount it in front, but cables usually are not cheap. You can fabricate an actuator to shift it electrically.

I agree they don't work the best, but you can mess with the adjustment on the cables and get them to shift easier. You will have to fiddle with them as the cables work against each other on most yamaha and too tight they work hard, too loose they may not shift right or come out of gear.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 09:56 PM   #6
BigShowDuramax
Getting Wild

Yamaha

So in other words, it would be ALOT easier just to reach under the seat and switch from forward to reverse huh? lol
Thanks for all the responses. I think I will just leave it alone...for now.
Old 01-16-2017, 10:41 AM   #7
sformal
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigShowDuramax View Post
So in other words, it would be ALOT easier just to reach under the seat and switch from forward to reverse huh? lol
Thanks for all the responses. I think I will just leave it alone...for now.
It is true that on the Japanese versions, the lever is on the left side of the driver seat, horizontal for forward, you pull it up to go backward. Better placed perhaps
sformal is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha