lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-16-2017, 04:51 PM   #1
GreenCoupe
Not Yet Wild

Default FE290 "Decompressor"

New here... thanks for the help

Rebuilding an FE290 CW rotation. I ordered a new decompressor (Part 21118-2088 from the exploded drawing in the manual. When I went to install it on my cam gear, the mounting holes, weight, etc. are on the wrong side to fit on the gear. I'm thinking the part I ordered is for a CCW rotation 290.

Can someone please verify and enlighten me on the proper part #?

Also, the thing is positioned on the gear using two pins. They are a loose fit in the gear. (Mine originally was securely held on with round head screws, yet there are no visible threads in the holes)

Are the pins to be tapped into the gear with a drift to set them? Or is it attached to the cam gear in some other fashion?

Thanks oh Gurus of the cart...
GreenCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-17-2017, 07:11 AM   #2
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Default Re: FE290 "Decompressor"

Welcome to BGW GCoupe!

This is a tough one, so I'm going to throw a few "guesses" at you...
  • I'll guess that you have a "Key Start" cart? (most of us have pedal start carts)
  • The "Decompressor"... I'll guess that your talking about the ACR? (Automatic Compression Release)
  • FE290... I'll guess that it's an FE350 because (as far as I know) Kawasaki didn't put ACR's in Club Car FE290's, just the 350's and 400's!

All that being said... Just by viewing the YouTube video below, it IS directional because it works on centrifugal force!

And... from reading the Club Car/Kawasaki engine and drivetrain repair manual, it says that the only serviceable/replaceable part is the spring,
otherwise... the whole camshaft has to be replaced!

(click on pic below a few times to enlarge, last sentence at the bottom of the page)

ACR.jpg

As for part numbers... sorry, I don't have any! (even my CC dealer doesn't list cams with ACR's!)

Wish I could help more!!
lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 12:14 PM   #3
GreenCoupe
Not Yet Wild

Thank you for your reply, lockman1

No, it is a pedal start 290 CW rotation. Engine appears to be an '05
Yes, the part is the ACR in Club Car speak. (Decompressor in Kawasaki speak)
I was able to find the pins, spring, and decompressor on line through a small engine parts house using the part numbers from the manual. The part is just "backwards" from what I need.

Sorry, having trouble sizing the attachment. The part and cam are on the right. On the left, I reversed the image to show what the part I need looks like.

Part # 21118-2088 is what I have. I tried searching a digit or two either way and came up with a couple of other "Decompressors" but none that fit my configuration.

CC has not been very responsive. I realize it's at least 10 years old but this find has proven to be frustrating.

Any other suggestions or input?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen shot 2017-03-17 at 9.59.27 AM.jpg (18.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-17-2017, 12:25 PM   #4
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

I'm not exactly sure what to tell you...
The Club Car starter/generator is strong enough to turn over a 9.5 hp FE290 engine without the ACR!

Old 03-17-2017, 03:55 PM   #5
GreenCoupe
Not Yet Wild

Thanks Don
So, it sounds like you are saying that I should be able to run this thing without the ACR??
Old 03-17-2017, 09:17 PM   #6
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

IF... your using a stock S/G?... Absolutely!
To my knowledge, NONE of the pedal start FE290 carts from 92 on up used an ACR!

Old 03-20-2017, 12:10 PM   #7
GreenCoupe
Not Yet Wild

Yes, stock S/G. So I guess I'll put back together sans the ACR. I don't understand why it would be installed if it wasn't necessary.

Engine is stock, but I had to go with a 50mm bore.

I intend to put in a 4º advanced flywheel key at this time and I am considering milling the head around .015 too, but I want to see how well it pulls before making that commitment.

With that knowledge do you still think we will be OK trying to run without the ACR?

Thank you...
Old 03-21-2017, 06:47 AM   #8
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Depending how much compression you get from the larger bore, (preferably not more than 165 psi) you should be fine!

I also have the timing advance key, it's kind of a cool add-on!
it doesn't get you any more mph, but it helps you get from stop, to full speed faster!

Old 03-21-2017, 11:34 AM   #9
GreenCoupe
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for all your input Don. Most appreciated.
Rich
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car