lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-05-2017, 11:36 AM   #1
Jmbeebe0722
Not Yet Wild

Default Voltage Reducer Help!

Hi guys,

I am looking to replace my headlight and taillights on my 2011 Club Car Precedent. Currently the cart has light kit, but the taillights are filled with the water and the front headlight in smashed.

I am looking at the RecPro LED Light Kit. It is my understanding I will not need to run new wires, as they should hook-up to the factory wiring. However, will I still need to install a voltage reducer or is one already in place for the exisiting light kit?
Jmbeebe0722 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-05-2017, 11:40 AM   #2
crash test dummy

Default Re: Voltage Reducer Help!

if it is .. it is on the frame passenger side front
Old 06-05-2017, 08:05 PM   #3
Jmbeebe0722
Not Yet Wild

Also, if I have one voltage reducer would I need another one to put in a volt meters?
Jmbeebe0722 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 08:12 PM   #4
crash test dummy

no volt meters measure the entire pack voltage

this is a typical 48v club car reducer install

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 48V METER.jpg (50.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-05-2017, 08:49 PM   #5
sonnysmith
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Crash, I know you will be glad when I get this worked out.

I just looked at the diagram you posted. I still have a problem understanding the use of the trigger wire, if I read it right, it's 48 volts coming off the key switch. I'm sorry, but that to me is putting 48 volts on a 12 volt wire.

Please help understand.
Thanks
Sonny
sonnysmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 08:59 PM   #6
crash test dummy

it's 48v into the reducer (red wire) that converts it to 12v that goes out (green wire)
the reducer needs 48vs to turn on (yellow wire)

key switch is 48v
Old 06-05-2017, 09:13 PM   #7
yawood
Gone Wild

Club Car

Hi Sonny,

In Crash's diagram there is 48V going into the reducer and 12V coming out. The trigger wire is a 48V line which tells the reducer to turn on and output 12V when the key is switched. This is because it can be a low amperage signal which won't burn out the key switch. Once the reducer is turned on (by the trigger signal) it gets its full +48V from the red wire and outputs +12V through the green wire. The black wire acts as the negative for both the 48V and the 12V. It goes to the B- connection so that the OBC knows how much power is being pulled from the battery pack.
yawood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 09:19 PM   #8
crash test dummy

remember current runs negative to positive with dc

yawood is it different down under ?
Old 06-05-2017, 09:23 PM   #9
yawood
Gone Wild

Club Car

When you have a reducer fitted you can run as many 12V accessories as you like from it (so long as you don't exceed its amperage limits). So, the reducer might put out a max of 20A and you want to run lights, a radio and a USB port to charge your phone. If the total amperage for each of these is less that 20A you don't have a problem.

Most people install a bus bar of some description just to tidy up the wiring and make it easier to trace which wire goes where but theoretically you could just connect all the +12V lines to the green wire and all the -12V lines to the black wire and they would work. However it is much better to fit a power distributor of some sort rather than just connecting everything to single points.
Old 06-05-2017, 09:25 PM   #10
yawood
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash test dummy View Post
remember current runs negative to positive with dc

yawood is it different down under ?

The water goes down the plug hole in a different direction but electricity is the same.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car