lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-12-2018, 12:21 PM   #1
tyhuck
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Marathon axel acting wierd

Well, I am back in the electric cart club again. Ironically, I bought back a cart that I sold several years ago, that changed hands several times. I posted on a regional hunting forum I am on that I was looking for a rebuildable cart. A guy contacted me and offered me the cart he had, which turned out to be my old cart. Small world I guess.

Well, the cart is in rough shape now. the batteries need replacing as usual, but after a short charge I took it for a short (very short as is was) turn around the yard. I noticed it was jerking a good bit, but after lifting it off the ground and checking it on a jack, I noticed that the jerk was in the rear axle, not just the large aggressive lugs of the tires. Im thinking that the gears may be gone. I am going to be replacing the fluid with some gear oil in case its just not full enough (and because I like the idea of thicker oil in there than just motor oil), but if that doesnt help, what all do I need to look at getting (aside from axle bearings) to rebuild the rear diff aside form the actual gears? Just looking to have an idea of what I need before I crack it open. IT is the axle with the two piece housing that bolts together with no diff cover underneath.
tyhuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-12-2018, 04:35 PM   #2
tyhuck
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Marathon axel acting wierd

The more I think about it the more stumped I am. Can it be the hubs when it does it on or off the ground? Could it be a motor issue?

Its a kind if a chugging sound and feeling? There is no sound or resistance when pushing it or turning the tires by hand on the jack, only when the motor is driving it. I keep thinking gears but hoping it isn’t because those are expensive.
Old 04-13-2018, 01:46 AM   #3
MILLERTIME
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Stripped hub?
MILLERTIME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 04:47 AM   #4
Dennisneri
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

check the hub typical i have changed 2 on mine over the last 4 years usually when mine go the cart stops completely but i am ruff on the old girl
Dennisneri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 03:18 PM   #5
ab46501
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

My guess would be a stripped hub as well. If there was an issue with the gears you almost certainly would have a whine or other noise while driving.
ab46501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 06:42 PM   #6
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyhuck View Post
The more I think about it the more stumped I am. Can it be the hubs when it does it on or off the ground? Could it be a motor issue?

Its a kind if a chugging sound and feeling? There is no sound or resistance when pushing it or turning the tires by hand on the jack, only when the motor is driving it. I keep thinking gears but hoping it isn’t because those are expensive.
If you find that you need a rear axle assembly, I have one in a 1985 Marathon X-440 3 wheeler. I removed the motor and shipped it off to another member here. So the rear axle assembly is still available if you need it.
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 08:26 PM   #7
tyhuck
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Got new batteries today. Took it for a quick spin around the yard and it seems tobe doing the same thing at the lowest speed (resistor cart). Gonna check the hubs as suggested. Still sounds like a Jetson’s vehicle though.
Old 05-27-2018, 02:19 AM   #8
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyhuck View Post
Got new batteries today. Took it for a quick spin around the yard and it seems tobe doing the same thing at the lowest speed (resistor cart). Gonna check the hubs as suggested. Still sounds like a Jetson’s vehicle though.
That 1985 Marathon X-440 rear end is still available here if you find that you need one.
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 05:35 PM   #9
tyhuck
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Well, there’s a possibility that my motor is toast. Just took it for a spin and it didnt make it a quarter mile. Made it home and it acted like the batteries were dead. Pulled the seat and the motor was smoking. Can someone give me a diagram of how the motor is supposed to be wired just in case thats the problem?
Old 05-29-2018, 09:08 PM   #10
tyhuck
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Took it all apart, cleaned as much as I could, fixed what problems I could see, and put it all back together. I did notice that one of the bolts holding the cover that holds the armature bearing in place had a bolt missing because it had been sheared off, causing the cover to sit crooked. Im thinking that it allowed the armature to work itself out of the retainer and contact the coils. Took the broken bolt out and replaced it, and tightened the retaining cover on evenly.

Took it for a spin and it did the same thing it did before, then it locked up completely. Pushed it around a bit to unlock the rear end, then it ran like before for a little while more. More pushing back to the garage, and right before I got there I hit the accelerator and it took off. Drove it in and parked it until this afternoon. Took it for another spin this afternoon with more of the same old results for about the first minute, then it took off like a scalded ape. Drove it around and put it through some paces and it seems to be back to normal (knock on wood).

Well, not sure what I did, but it seems to be working fine now. Found a guy locally selling a motor for $150, guaranteed to work with a 60 day warranty. Figure if nothing else, thats cheap insurance for when this one goes totally kaput.

and BTW, as evident by the cob webs surrounding the axel nut on the rear hubs still being intact, I am going to say that the hubs are not slipping. If they were, the spider webs would be disturbed, RIGHT?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO