lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-27-2018, 10:11 AM   #1
fredm21
Not Yet Wild

Default Ez-Go Medalist stripping brake hub over and over

Hi Guys,

We are driving an EZ-GO medalist 1998 at work in the shop so it's running 8 hours everyday of the week non-stop. It's lifted 6'' with bigger tires. I keep stripping the splines for the axle in the brake hub. The last 2 hub that I installed lasted for 3 days. Always on the driver side probably due to the weight of the driver but I still don't understand why they keep stripping?

Anyone has an Idea?

Thanks!!
fredm21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-27-2018, 10:20 AM   #2
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Ez-Go Medalist stripping brake hub over and over

I’d definitely replace the axle at this point and look into the Ausco heavy duty hubs that ScottyB sells.

And if it’s a 1998 it’d be a TXT. A Medalist has a metal body and would be a ‘94 or ‘95.

Club Car DS driver’s club #59
LukeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 10:55 AM   #3
Gearhead1956
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: Ez-Go Medalist stripping brake hub over and over

I 2nd that!

The splines on the axle are wore and the new hubs are not taking up all the play!

If its used that much, you may think about putting the stock tires back on it. Less torque is needed to take off with shorter tires.

You may have a hot- rodder in the shop trying to do some wheelies?
Gearhead1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 11:15 AM   #4
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Are you pulling trailers with it? That'd add to the stress on the splines. As would wheelies or pushing the nose against the wall and flooring it to see if the tires spin. If your splines are in good shape and you aren't doing anything too crazy there shouldn't be a need to replace the hubs that often.

Do you have a two footed driver that likes to press both the brake and the gas at the same time? That'd stress them too.
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 11:19 AM   #5
transfixer
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredm21 View Post
Hi Guys,

We are driving an EZ-GO medalist 1998 at work in the shop so it's running 8 hours everyday of the week non-stop. It's lifted 6'' with bigger tires. I keep stripping the splines for the axle in the brake hub. The last 2 hub that I installed lasted for 3 days. Always on the driver side probably due to the weight of the driver but I still don't understand why they keep stripping?

Anyone has an Idea?

Thanks!!
When it comes to parts that mate together with splines, when one piece strips, its necessary to replace both pieces in order to eliminate play where the two pieces meet together, the splines on the axle are worn I'm sure and the constant back and forth of the axle splines banging against the splines in the hub cause the hub to strip out again,

I've seen this numerous times in automotive applications, Your only other option would be to weld the hub to the axle, but that's kinda a last ditch effort and I wouldn't recommend it myself.
transfixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 12:48 PM   #6
fredm21
Not Yet Wild

Hey guys,

Sorry I forgot to mention, the axle is also brand new! No trailer is used and the driver is going smooth with it. Sometime he needs to go outside where it's a little rough but it's about it!
Old 08-27-2018, 01:07 PM   #7
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

If you lift the cart in the air can you turn the tires by hand? Drivers side and then passenger side?

Are the splines fully mated? Meaning, is the axle a little short so it doesn't engage all the splines in the hub?

Something must be putting a lot of stress on those splines or there's a problem with the replacement parts.

For comparison, I have a 2011 TXT. I pull a 16' trailer once a year in a Christmas parade. My cart is lifted with 23.25" tires and stock gears and hubs. I don't go off-roading but I'm not especially easy on the cart. I do full throttle starts, I ride grass, pavement, uneven ground, carrying passengers and occasionally pulling things. I even used the cart to pull a storage shed on runners. I've yet to strip out a hub...
Old 08-27-2018, 01:14 PM   #8
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Wondering, you said medalist but you also said 1998... As Luke points out, 1998 is TXT, medalist was only 1994 and 1995. Is it possible you have the wrong axle and/or wrong hub?

I would be surprised if you could install a medalist axle in a txt diff, but stranger things have happened.
Old 08-27-2018, 01:59 PM   #9
fredm21
Not Yet Wild

Hi,

The axle is not going thru the drum, it's missing 0.250''. The name plate says EZ-Go MEDALIST TEXTRON. K498 ( 1998 ?)

When I ordered my parts I used the Serial number to get the right part.

I can turn the tires by hand when it's in the air, the brakes are adjusted fine also.
Old 08-27-2018, 03:38 PM   #10
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredm21 View Post
Hi,

The axle is not going thru the drum, it's missing 0.250''. The name plate says EZ-Go MEDALIST TEXTRON. K498 ( 1998 ?)

When I ordered my parts I used the Serial number to get the right part.

I can turn the tires by hand when it's in the air, the brakes are adjusted fine also.

Make sure that castellated nut is really tight. I usually impact tighten it. I’d try an Ausco hub at this point.

Club Car DS driver’s club #59
LukeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO