lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-28-2018, 03:18 PM   #1
clayrobinson
Not Yet Wild

Default Faulty Battery Meter?

Went for a ride today and cart kept getting slower until it finally died. Battery meter read 50%. When I finally got it back home, the dead battery tone came on. These batteries are two months old. Any thoughts?
clayrobinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-28-2018, 08:52 PM   #2
orangeman6
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Faulty Battery Meter?

Do you have a dvm? Check your pack voltage. And you can get a meter that shows the actual value. Refer to the attached chart and you’ll always know where you’re at.

http://www.cartsunlimited.net/battery-meters.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 7556C4D4-29E7-4C05-AD12-3C178AD58431.jpeg (127.1 KB, 0 views)
orangeman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 07:43 AM   #3
Rickochet
Card Carrying Old Fart

E-Z-GO

I have read where the % type meters can be inaccurate. I have a digital volt meter I got from ScottyB. Inexpensive and you can get a trim plate to fit your cart. It sounds like you ran your batteries dead. I have read here to never run them below 80% SOC (State of charge) when breaking the pack in for best battery life.

http://www.cartsunlimited.net/battery-meters.html

Here is my switch mounted in my key switch plate. I mounted a SOC chart next to the meter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pdsdashclose.jpg (432.1 KB, 0 views)
Rickochet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 10:06 AM   #4
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by clayrobinson View Post
Went for a ride today and cart kept getting slower until it finally died. Battery meter read 50%. When I finally got it back home, the dead battery tone came on. These batteries are two months old. Any thoughts?
That's a new one for me. What brand and model is this cart?

When you say batteries are 2 months old you mean all of them correct? So you have a receipt and warranty and they are new and not reconditioned.

We assume they are fully charged with a functioning charger----true?
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 02:00 PM   #5
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Also, depends on how they measured 50% on your meter. A 48V pack is dead at 48v, a 36V pack is dead at 36V. You can continue going lower, but it'll damage the pack. Yes, the battery has about half of it's total capacity left, but going below 50% causes lead sulfate to form on the plates in the battery and if left uncharged these will begin to convert to hard crystals that are permanent.
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO