lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-15-2019, 11:57 PM   #11
jkredman
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Batteries? Or Delta Q Charger?

Yup; mine’s a wavy fin model &: Yup; I saw both fuses when I opened up my failed charger.

Still can’t understand why a self sacrificing protection device would be soldered to the motherboard.

Because I have a significant other that likes to play winter golf, I bought a refurb. At least it was 1/5th the price of what I thought I would have to pay if my issues were the batteries. When I have some slack time, I’ll disassemble the charger so that I can unsolder one side of the fuse and test them for an open.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
jkredman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-16-2019, 12:01 AM   #12
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

Default Re: Batteries? Or Delta Q Charger?

The entire charger is a self-sacrificing part designed to fill EZGO's pockets with $$$ at the expense of the customer and environment. They're junk. So are Yamaha Drive chargers (but at least they have a cooling fan to extend their useful life).

A few years ago the TXT 36V had a great PowerWise II charger...I suppose EZGO didn't like not making money off charger repairs.

In the '70s folks would stop buying any brand that took advantage of customers by selling them planned obsolescence junk in some lame attempt to maximize profits. Today, sadly, the young children of those folks just buy into the cycle of toss bad charger, buy new one, rinse, repeat.

The fuses aren't usually the part that actually kills the charger. fuses don't blow for the pure enjoyment of it. Something shorts and destroys them. There are no diodes on the DC output side so if the outlet fails or the charger has AC input interrupted, the charger gets backfed volts and takes things out before the DC output fuse blows (I'm not sure if they're slow-blow or instant action either) and if there is a surge on the AC side it takes components out along with the AC fuse. So even soldering in a fuse holder to bypass the open fuse and make it replaceable often just results in a fireworks show or fuses instantly blowing.
nickdalzell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 12:04 AM   #13
jkredman
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Batteries? Or Delta Q Charger?

Well that goes back to my earlier comment....

EZGO sees them as consumables......

Unfortunately - I don’t!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
jkredman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 12:10 AM   #14
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

I don't either. If the boss were ok with the reality of possibly losing 1/3 the customers to mark up the price to include a GOOD DECENT charger (one that also trickle charges batteries over winter and can charge a dead pack) we'd toss or send back the QEs/SCs and sell them with DPI or Eagle Performance chargers. Sadly, folks are cheap.

I have actually called and complained to the service dept of EZGO and they just don't give a darn. They say even club car is likely to go the same route one day, Yamaha already has.

You can't tell folks logic around here. They're idiots. I'm serious. They'd rather pay the $180 for a refurbished QE to replace the bad one (which will fail in a year or so and become an endless repeating loop which is far more expensive over time anyway) than spend the $300-400 on one that you buy once and never worry about ever again (but the attention span is getting worse with each generation--they can't see past the here and now, so they see only the $180 vs the $400, not the reality that they will be spending $180 every year.)

EZGO is starting to become my least favorite make these days, they already make me angry with their very mechanic unfriendly 13HP thumper engine on the new gas cars (the Twin-Robin was the quiet, smooth and reliable one), but also with the failings of the RXV as well as the QE I'm loving Club Car for sticking with a design that has been so far unchanged since 1984
Old 01-16-2019, 11:28 AM   #15
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdalzell1 View Post
I'm loving Club Car for sticking with a design that has been so far unchanged since 1984
Fake news...
Since 1984, cc has switched from 36v to 48v, released the plastic sneaker "precedent", had over 100 different revisions of the much beloved OBC, and switched to the same type of "high frequency" charger design as Ezgo & Yamaha. The grass isn't really greener over there.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 12:13 AM   #16
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

Well aside from Precedents, the DS around here is pretty unchanged especially regarding the body style. We don't see many beyond a 2011 anyways so at least from my perspective, the engines have not changed (I was not a fan of the 341 Briggs style in the 80s) much at all, and we are just now seeing the PowerDrive 3s coming in (I still can't fix the diodes properly in those, but that is rare anyway). We won't touch Lithium cars so we don't plan on those rolling in. So if CC has changed anything lately I won't likely even see it until a decade from now--as folks here hold onto anything for a long time. I guess once those old Buick drivers die off and kids become the customers that might change, for better or worse.

So in my area at least, CC is the only one who has ferro-resonant chargers. EZGO and Yamaha have already gone the disposable crap route with chargers, and Ruff n Tuff and Bad Boy Buggies have their own bastardized variant of the DPI, which resembles more a Club Car charger but without the transformer, is rebranded Bad Boy or Ruff n Tuff, and Star/Fairplay has their own crap as well. Tomberlins are becoming my next hated car, super expensive and very hard to get parts for. They used to use QUiQs but have gone to some silver QE wannabe with one flashing LED just like EZGO
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO