lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-05-2019, 01:43 PM   #1
jackfoot
Not Yet Wild

Default Control modifications on EZGO carts

As I struggle to get through each and every workday I find myself planning my retirement down to the minutest detail. One detail is the purchase of a golf cart to ferry my butt from my future residence to my future golf course.

Since I have chosen to stick it to the man today and play on the internet instead of completing my TPS reports, I have a few very unimportant questions for the experts here.

Ideally, I would like to purchase an EZGO Freedom 72 volt golf cart, mostly because I am a novice so I assume more is better. My first ridiculous question is would it be possible to reconfigure the key assembly in a manner that the forward/neutral/reverse functions would be performed by a rocker switch on the dash as opposed to controlled by the key (similar to the PDS carts). I admit my only reason for this is I am a carling switch nerd. My theory is that there cannot be that much amperage pushing through the key switch so a rocker should be able to handle it. I am wondering if anyone has tried this or if the mere concept is to be immediately rejected due to some technical issue that I am not aware of.

My other question is if I decided to go with a 48v RXV or TXT and I get it hopped up with an upgraded controller, will the new configuration allow me set two different speeds much as the Freedom 72 offers with the rabbit/turtle switch. I was hoping to have a setting for around 25mph for the road and around 15mph for the golf course.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
jackfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-05-2019, 02:29 PM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Control modifications on EZGO carts

Welcome to BGW!

Being a DC drive affectionado I'm not all that familiar with AC drives such as the 48V and 72V RXVs, but I've read on here that tampering with any of the control circuitry (IE: keyswitch F/R etc.) can take the controller out. So, if you like to do electrical customizing of the drive controls, a TXT-48 might be a better choice.

An Alltrax XCT48400 (or larger) aftermarket controller in a TXT-48 is user programmable via a USB to a laptop and can have up to 3 user profiles. Getting it to go 25MPH is fairly easy and lower speeds can be done by motor RPM limiting.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 02:34 PM   #3
Buggieman18
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Control modifications on EZGO carts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackfoot View Post
As I struggle to get through each and every workday I find myself planning my retirement down to the minutest detail. One detail is the purchase of a golf cart to ferry my butt from my future residence to my future golf course.

Since I have chosen to stick it to the man today and play on the internet instead of completing my TPS reports, I have a few very unimportant questions for the experts here.

Ideally, I would like to purchase an EZGO Freedom 72 volt golf cart, mostly because I am a novice so I assume more is better. My first ridiculous question is would it be possible to reconfigure the key assembly in a manner that the forward/neutral/reverse functions would be performed by a rocker switch on the dash as opposed to controlled by the key (similar to the PDS carts). I admit my only reason for this is I am a carling switch nerd. My theory is that there cannot be that much amperage pushing through the key switch so a rocker should be able to handle it. I am wondering if anyone has tried this or if the mere concept is to be immediately rejected due to some technical issue that I am not aware of.

My other question is if I decided to go with a 48v RXV or TXT and I get it hopped up with an upgraded controller, will the new configuration allow me set two different speeds much as the Freedom 72 offers with the rabbit/turtle switch. I was hoping to have a setting for around 25mph for the road and around 15mph for the golf course.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
From my understand and unfamiliarity with Carling switches, the RXV requires momentary "pauses" between positions.

The wisdom here is not to fool with that switch as as it runs a small voltage to trigger the appropriate response of the controller and is not a simple conduit for motor voltage as in the TXT. Tampering with that logic circuitry can be an expensive elective tinker mistake.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Buggieman18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO