lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-11-2019, 09:17 PM   #1
South florida J
Not Yet Wild

Default Club car upgrade to alltrax and nothing is working

I have a 2001 Club Car DS series. I recently replaced the FNR switch, glide switch, brand new Dand D motor with 500 amp alltrax with Heavy duty Curtis solenoid. I hooked up everything and it creeped in reverse and then putting it in forward, I heard the solenoid click ( light pop). I did not put the small diode on because I heard when in doubt, leave it off. The larger one is on though. The wires appear to be in the right spots on the solenoid according to other posts. While looking at the white and black wire that is on the positive side of the small post of solenoid, looked burnt. Batteries are good. Any insight would be appreciated. Wonder if I fried the new solenoid and would have to throw the old one back on.
South florida J is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-12-2019, 12:01 AM   #2
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Default Re: Club car upgrade to alltrax and nothing is working

That was the coil suppression diode you left off.

To test your solenoid, do this. (Cart jacked up, key On, FNR Lever in Fwd, and pedal depressed). Take your DVM and test across the two (2) small posts and see if you have pack voltage. If not, run the red probe to the Main Pack Pos and then the black probe to the small post with the yellow wire on it. (small post - not the big post with the yellow cable) and see if you get pack voltage (If not, the OBC is bad and you lost the Neg). If so, move your black probe over to the Main Pack Neg and the red probe to the other small post on the solenoid which also has a small red wire and white wire w/black trace. With the key On, FNR in Fwd and Go Pedal depressed, you should get pack voltage (If not, you lost one of those inputs listed above and need to trace back and find the culprit).

If you have pack voltage but the solenoid is not closing, you can tap on it with the butt of a hammer handle, but it does not close in you will need to replace it.

And was the burnt condition there before on the white and black wire?
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 08:00 AM   #3
South florida J
Not Yet Wild

The white and black wire was burnt looking before I did the upgrade to the new solenoid. Two more questions, should the wires be upgraded to 4 gauge or should they at least work for now? And also should I put the old solenoid back on to see if it works? This new solenoid is confusing
Old 05-12-2019, 08:04 AM   #4
South florida J
Not Yet Wild

Also if the big diode was the wrong way would that matter?
Old 05-12-2019, 08:09 AM   #5
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

Connect your computer and see what kind of errors show up.
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 08:34 AM   #6
BBBHC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by South florida J View Post
Orientation of the diodes does matter. Here is a "sticky" that should help you understand what they do, as well as correct orientation. http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...th-diodes.html
BBBHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 09:08 AM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

IN a series cart the resistor goes on the big solenoid terminals. It is non directional meaning there is no right or wrong way to put it on. It must be on or the Alltrax will throw an error code.
The small diode on the small posts must have the banded end towards the terminal with the positive wire. If this is reversed it may pop a micro switch in the Vglide or F&R keeping the solenoid from clicking any more.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 10:02 AM   #8
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
The white and black wire was burnt looking before I did the upgrade to the new solenoid. Two more questions, should the wires be upgraded to 4 gauge or should they at least work for now? And also should I put the old solenoid back on to see if it works? This new solenoid is confusing
With the 500a setup you have, 2g cables are required for the current you are moving. 6g is way too small....

- The solenoid should not be confusing if you just think it all thru. 2 large post for the battery supply going to your controller. When the solenoid clicks (closes) this is how the current transfers from one side of the solenoid to the other and goes to the controller. Your old one is probably only ~100 amps.
- The 2 small post are for the activation coil and need 48v to close in. You have the Pos (+) input on the side with the red wire and the White/Black stripe wire and the Neg (-) on the other side with the Yellow wire. The small diode should be installed with the banded or silver stripe towards the small post with the white/black wire connected to it. (Note- If your solenoid has a + & - stamped at the small posts, it is polarized and will not need the diode as it is controlled internally already.)

Quote:
The big one should be a Resistor and can be installed either direction as it is just to supply a pre-charge to your controller.

If you check it as described in my earlier post, you will know if it is the solenoid or an input from the FNR or Throttle MS.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 11:39 AM   #9
South florida J
Not Yet Wild

You all are awesome. I ordered 2 gauge and they are on the way. Nole fan forever, in another post you made on a different thread the guy had a similar experience where the cart moved slow in reverse and not at all in forward. This is exactly what happened to me. I will send a photo of my Curtis solenoid so someone can point out where diode should be and where the yellow and black and white/blk wires go.
Old 05-12-2019, 11:41 AM   #10
South florida J
Not Yet Wild

0D3B6CD8-BB2D-406F-836B-BC68ABE49431.jpg
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car