lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-09-2019, 05:17 PM   #11
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: 99 ds with fe290 front engine dampener

It's actually got a piece of foam or something wedged in the bottom. And the pieces of wood are all glued together. I guess it must have had a rattle. I have no idea why LOL

I will say it was IN there. Had to beat it out with a hammer
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-09-2019, 05:23 PM   #12
nwocart
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
The snubber bracket is not supposed to rest on the frame. It should sit above the frame by maybe 3/8" to 1/2" if I had to guess.
With the lift kit the cradle sits lower and is trying to pull the snubber bracket down. You can replace it the way it is, but it will quickly ruin a new snubber.
Put a jack under the cradle and lift it just enough to unbolt the snubber bracket and remove it. Then lower the cradle down and it will rest naturally where it's supposed to.
You can try flipping the bracket over and re-mounting it, usually that is fine and the snubber will sit in the proper place.

If it sits up too high try elongating the holes in the bracket so it can be adjusted down.

This is exactly what I was wanting to hear. Explanation and a simple how to. I will try this next , I can fab a new snubber bracket if needed to get it in the right spot but I wasn’t sure where the right spot was.

And to lockman- my intake hose is resting against that black box. I guess I’m gonna have to do some modifications ???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nwocart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 06:19 AM   #13
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Quote:
...You can try flipping the bracket over and re-mounting it, usually that is fine and the snubber will sit in the proper place.
That's what I was thinking, and it's how my cart was set up with the factory 3" Z lift,
but then I added another lift, (total of about 6") and my snubber came off a couple of times,
that's when I added an extension bracket to lower it more, and then I ran into the intake tube problem.

Snubber1.jpg Snubbermount.jpg Intake hose.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwocart View Post
And to lockman- my intake hose is resting against that black box. I guess I’m gonna have to do some modifications ???
I figured that was the case, and that's why I asked about it! So yes, you'll have to do some modifications,
BUT... I'll tell you how I fixed mine with random stuff in the plumbing dept. at a big box store so I could ride it. (Lowes, Home Depot etc.)

1-1/4" rubber P trap cut into pieces, and parts (for a bathroom sink... 1-1/4"... not 1-1/2")
1-1/4" x 6" down tube (attaches to the bottom of the drain strainer in a bathroom sink) cut into a couple of 2" and 3" pieces
and a bunch of hose clamps...

This is the pic that I didn't want to show in the "fix for intake" thread...

002 - Copy (3).JPG

It worked as needed, BUT... the rubber P trap is really flexible, and I tend to run at higher RPM's then most carts should,
and I was worried about the rubber 90's collapsing under the high suction of the carb,
It probably wouldn't collapse under normal conditions, but my cart isn't normal... nor am I!

Hope this helps!
lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 07:27 AM   #14
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Follow up...

Quote:
The snubber bracket is not supposed to rest on the frame. It should sit above the frame by maybe 3/8" to 1/2" if I had to guess.
I've only seen one cart where the snubber was "floating"... because it had weak leaf springs,
all of the others (including my cart that I bought new) the snubber rests on the frame, until of coarse, you add a couple of big guys on the cart.

So... I guess we agree to disagree! (again)
Old 07-10-2019, 07:44 AM   #15
nwocart
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockman1 View Post
That's what I was thinking, and it's how my cart was set up with the factory 3" Z lift,
but then I added another lift, (total of about 6") and my snubber came off a couple of times,
that's when I added an extension bracket to lower it more, and then I ran into the intake tube problem.

Attachment 189248 Attachment 189249 Attachment 189250

I figured that was the case, and that's why I asked about it! So yes, you'll have to do some modifications,
BUT... I'll tell you how I fixed mine with random stuff in the plumbing dept. at a big box store so I could ride it. (Lowes, Home Depot etc.)

1-1/4" rubber P trap cut into pieces, and parts (for a bathroom sink... 1-1/4"... not 1-1/2")
1-1/4" x 6" down tube (attaches to the bottom of the drain strainer in a bathroom sink) cut into a couple of 2" and 3" pieces
and a bunch of hose clamps...

This is the pic that I didn't want to show in the "fix for intake" thread...

Attachment 189251

It worked as needed, BUT... the rubber P trap is really flexible, and I tend to run at higher RPM's then most carts should,
and I was worried about the rubber 90's collapsing under the high suction of the carb,
It probably wouldn't collapse under normal conditions, but my cart isn't normal... nor am I!

Hope this helps!
When I was reading up on this subject I saw you had mentioned modifying the intake. I was hoping it was a little simpler than that to be honest, Hopefully mine will squeak by.

I need a new intake hose anyways, mine has a crack that I have sealed temporarily until I got it running good and everything else sorted out.

My cart gets ridden for a half mile maybe once every few weeks. If its going to be a bigger pain to replace the intake than it will be to replace snubbers, then I will just keep replacing $10 snubbers to be honest. I take it camping 4 days a year and we drive it around the neighborhood on friday nights with a cooler to talk to neighbors. If I was driving this thing every day I might be a little more worried.
Old 07-10-2019, 07:58 AM   #16
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

It really isn't all that difficult!
and the way your snubber bracket is positioned at an angle like it is, the rubber snubber will be pretty much useless anyway!

Your cart, your decision!
Old 07-10-2019, 06:21 PM   #17
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Quote:
Follow up...

I've only seen one cart where the snubber was "floating"... because it had weak leaf springs,
all of the others (including my cart that I bought new) the snubber rests on the frame, until of coarse, you add a couple of big guys on the cart.

So... I guess we agree to disagree! (again)
No! I do not disagree! (oh wait... nvm)
See post #5...

At Normal rest height the snubber itself should touch the frame, because there’s 3/4” or so of “snubber material” on the bottom of a brand new snubber that should sit on the frame with the cart at normal rest position. Once you put weight on the cart, it lifts up some off of the frame.
The bracket itself, when the snubber rots away, should not actually touch the frame. It should usually sit just above it, about 3/8” or so like I said. That probably does depend somewhat on wear, weight, age, cargo, etc, or how many beers you’ve had.

Most of mine I gave up on replacing snubbers because they’re expensive and they don’t last with our rough roads here. So when they fall off my fix is to replace them with 1” I.D. heater hose. I run a couple long zip ties through a section of hose about 10-12” length, slip it under the bracket and wrap it over top then zip the ties together. Works good, seems to last, and is dirt cheap. But I don’t have to jack anything up or pry or shove or remove anything to get the hose in there. Just squish it flat and slip it under the bracket.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 06:50 PM   #18
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
No! I do not disagree! (oh wait... nvm)
See post #5...

At Normal rest height the snubber itself should touch the frame, because there’s 3/4” or so of “snubber material” on the bottom of a brand new snubber that should sit on the frame with the cart at normal rest position. Once you put weight on the cart, it lifts up some off of the frame.
The bracket itself, when the snubber rots away, should not actually touch the frame. It should usually sit just above it, about 3/8” or so like I said. That probably does depend somewhat on wear, weight, age, cargo, etc, or how many beers you’ve had.

Most of mine I gave up on replacing snubbers because they’re expensive and they don’t last with our rough roads here. So when they fall off my fix is to replace them with 1” I.D. heater hose. I run a couple long zip ties through a section of hose about 10-12” length, slip it under the bracket and wrap it over top then zip the ties together. Works good, seems to last, and is dirt cheap. But I don’t have to jack anything up or pry or shove or remove anything to get the hose in there. Just squish it flat and slip it under the bracket.
Have you considered using firewood chips? It's even cheaper and apparently has great longevity as a snubber
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 06:20 AM   #19
nwocart
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
It really isn't all that difficult!
and the way your snubber bracket is positioned at an angle like it is, the rubber snubber will be pretty much useless anyway!

Your cart, your decision!
Well I guess I didn’t specify this but I meant seeing how it did after the bracket flip. I flipped it last night, and put a new snubber on. Seems like it’s in a much better spot. The yearly camping trip I go on is in 1 month, guess I will put it to the test then! Intake is no worse off than it was before, though I do need a new one anyways so I might get that ordered.
Old 07-11-2019, 06:30 AM   #20
nwocart
Gone Wild
Club Car

Since we are under the hood, can anybody tell me what those wires are? Some kind of sensor or something? Looks to be 3 or 4 (sorry I forget this was last nigt) loose ends just hanging out. If they serve a purpose I’d gladly wire them back up.

Same with that long piece of fuel line. It went to a spot near the bottom of the tank but wasn’t really connected to the tank. Looks like a drain line or something , I’m sure it was hooked up when I got it and probably got bounced around recently and came off. I have some fresh fuel line I may just replace it if I figure out where it goes :haha:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 66797202-ACF1-4B2C-9F49-14674B5EF658.jpg (72.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg DC4E86A0-854D-41BA-8C94-8F1ABF32AE25.jpg (85.5 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car