lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-11-2019, 12:51 PM   #11
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: fuel blowing out carburetor

First, repair the OEM S/G. The one from BU isn't going to last. I would say it is defective and return it while you still can. Just my advice.

are you sure it's a 1992? or are the clutches on the driver's side or passenger side of the cart. if passenger, The motor should spin CLOCKWISE when you press the pedal. If it is spinning CCW then it's backwards. Reversing the wires should make it spin the correct direction.

Having said that, I'd still put new brushes in the OEM S/G and put it back in unless it's completely destroyed. In which case a used OEM S/G for $100 is a much better deal than a brand new junk one for $100. You'll be lucky if you get a month out of the new one.

Reason I ask the year, I thought 1992's had the KF82. FE290 started in 1993, though there may have been some carryover mix between the transition?
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-11-2019, 01:45 PM   #12
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Lets try not to get too carried away. The valve clearance you posted in the first post is a little on the tight side. IIRC the spec should be .005". But if the engine was running before, and you didn't change the lash clearance, then we should be able to rue that out.
If you've verified that you have good spark, the SG is connected the same way as the old one, and the carb is definitely delivering fuel, and there are no loose wires or wrong connections in the electrical box, then the only thing it can be at that point is that the SG is turning the wrong way.

92 should have been the first year of the FE290.
92 - 96 should spin counter-clockwise.
97 and up spin clockwise.
All FE engines have clutches on the passenger side.

It is possible someone swapped in a Clockwise rotating 97+ engine into an older cart. Unless you've owned it since brand new, and know for sure the engine has never been replaced?

To go Forward should mean pushing the F/R lever to the to the left, towards the driver.
If you have to push the lever to the Right (passenger side) to go forward, then the engine has been swapped at some point.

You can also look at the transaxle and partly determine which way the engine might spin. A 92-96 transaxle has a shift lever mounted vertically on the front of the transmission. The lever points straight up. Those transaxles rotate counter clockwise.
A 97+ unitized transaxle will have the shift lever mounted horizontally on Top of the transaxle. The lever points to the Rear of the cart. These are meant to rotate Clockwise.

The engine rotation direction should match. Both type, the Forward gear selection is to push the FnR lever on the seat to the Left. Reverse to the Right.
If either engine/transaxle is paired with another that rotates the opposite direction, the Forward and Reverse positions will be opposite. Forward will be to the right, Reverse will be to the left.

Some engines have an arrow sticker on the side just above the clutch that indicates rotation direction. Some may not have this.
You can reverse the direction of the SG no matter which type it is. They are made to work both directions.

As for the SG from BU, what brand is it? Some are OK, and may last several years. If it has a silver sticker on it that says "Dynamo" it's junk.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 01:58 PM   #13
blacktrain
Not Yet Wild

Wow, really confused now, I put the old SG back in at it is still doing the same thing, blowing back out the intake.
blacktrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 02:12 PM   #14
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Good info, I stand corrected! I thought the CCW was like the gators with clutches on drivers side.
Old 07-12-2019, 08:01 PM   #15
stl_ed
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Maybe check and see if both valves are closed on the compression stroke.

The cam could have jumped and is opening the intake valve at the wrong time.

Am I correct that these have plastic timing gears?
stl_ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 08:11 PM   #16
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Unless something has changed between 1992 and now, it probably does have the plastic cam gear. However I dont think it is very likely to jump time... but if the rivets broke and the cam is stuck (not rotating anymore) with the intake valve open, I guess it could cause it to blow fuel out the carb. That sure would be an odd coincidence though
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car