lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-28-2019, 06:46 AM   #1
wbhess
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default How Do Chargers Work?

Sorry for the noob question and please dont bash me for it. But, what differs from 36, 42, 48v chargers? Does each charger pump out their perspective amount of volts until it reaches the shut off point? Or do they all continue to pump out the same charging power until they reach their shut off point?

My question is, my local shop has a 48v charger with Ez-go D style plug. Would this work with my 42v setup if I closely monitor the pack voltage and know when to shut it off)

I have a 36v pds (xct48500, admirial motb2, 400a solenoid) with a temporary setup for 42v with no 42v charger. Every 42v charger I found online is either out of stock, or wont ship for a couple weeks. I'd really like to go to 48v but I'm having a tough time willing to take a hit on my 36v battery pack (which is less than a year old).
wbhess is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-28-2019, 07:03 AM   #2
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: How Do Chargers Work?

The transformers and control boards and other things are all different in different voltage units. You will need the correct voltage charger with your setup. You can’t use a 36v or 48v charger on a 42v cart.
LukeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 01:29 PM   #3
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: How Do Chargers Work?

The charger's voltage is higher than the battery voltage, causing amps to flow from the direction of higher voltage towards the lower voltage. as the lower voltage nears equilibrium with the higher charger voltage, the amp flow tapers down to near zero. The mismatch of voltage between 42v batteries & 48v charger will cause the charger to output too much amps overloading & overheating the charger. Also, the batteries will inevitably end up overcharged.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO