lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-05-2020, 08:05 PM   #1
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Default Motor pretty burned

Looking for what might have caused this 2007 PDS motor to burn like this in case I do decide to get it back going.
It has stock tires but does have the rear flip seat. Maybe cheap aftermarket motor ?
I also assume it took the controller out with it ?

I haven't even looked to make sure the rear axle has oil in it. I do see where it might have leaked some out. Could be the reason this motor went south Pretty obvious this motor was under a load and that would account for this sparky looking thing
Probably not worth putting a new motor and controller on it.

I bought the cart because of other parts on it I needed but have not 100 % canned it yet.

My shop now has the smell of burning wires in it Hope I don't forget in the morning when I get there and think something in the shop is scorched , other than this electric motor
Attached Images
File Type: jpg motor burned.jpg (392.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1036[1].jpg (172.8 KB, 0 views)
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-06-2020, 11:39 AM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Motor pretty burned

It is an aftermarket motor, but not a "Cheap" one.
Looks like an Admiral MOT-???. It would be nice if the cables weren't obscuring the label in the picture.

What controller was being used? If it was a Stock PDS, it is dead and a likely reason for the burned out motor is the field map in the controller didn't match the motor being fed by it.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 12:22 PM   #3
Riso
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I overheated my Admiral MOT-B2 as well. I could not find a motor classification on it but the stock motor is a Class H. That means the internal temperature could go as high as 180 degrees celsius. I think the Admiral motors cannot handle the heat as well. Your motor looks like it got very hot. I am replacing it with a D&D.
Riso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 02:39 PM   #4
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Overheat or overspeed. Who was driving a the time, and was it going down a steep hill? Did it get towed back home at high speed?

Too many RPMs turns the motor into a squirrels nest.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 09:48 PM   #5
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
It is an aftermarket motor, but not a "Cheap" one.
Looks like an Admiral MOT-???. It would be nice if the cables weren't obscuring the label in the picture.

What controller was being used? If it was a Stock PDS, it is dead and a likely reason for the burned out motor is the field map in the controller didn't match the motor being fed by it.
Curtis , shown in picture. Curtis PMC 73326G04
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Curtis.jpg (161.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg ezgo motor.jpg (183.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-06-2020, 09:53 PM   #6
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
Overheat or overspeed. Who was driving a the time, and was it going down a steep hill? Did it get towed back home at high speed?

Too many RPMs turns the motor into a squirrels nest.
I don't know anything about this cart Fairfax4me. I bought it knowing it was toast but I needed lots of parts off it.
I thought the same thing when I took it apart last night. Someone towing it without flipping tow switch or towing at high speed. Hard to believe a controller could burn one up this bad but I am new to electric carts but learning.
Still in hope of getting it going one day. The cart is actually in good condition except for this issue . Maybe if I just let it rest for the time being something will come along. Batteries were good and now in series cart I own.
Old 03-07-2020, 08:49 AM   #7
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

The B2 is a high speed motor. Needs more than that 275amp controller can deliver. The motor was cooking itself every time it drove.
Did that cart have bigger tires than stock?
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 09:30 AM   #8
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
The B2 is a high speed motor. Needs more than that 275amp controller can deliver. The motor was cooking itself every time it drove.
Did that cart have bigger tires than stock?
No, stock tires.
Old 03-07-2020, 10:44 AM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Does the controller shown limit motor rpm ?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 11:37 AM   #10
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

The controller shown in picture is a stock PDS controller - Curtis 1206MX.

A 1206MX has a 300A throughput, it rpm limits motor to about 4400RPM, the field map is for stock PDS motor and it cannot be changed to field map compatible to an Admiral MOT-B2 motor by the user.

----------
You say the cart is in good condition and you've used the batteries in another cart, so get six 8V batteries, An Alltrax XCT48500-PDS controller, a 200A or larger solenoid, an Admiral or FSIP motor or have EMP build one and a set of 2Ga cables, plus a Lester Summit-II charger. That will be a cart that'll do 25+ MPH on stock height road tires, or can haul a manure spreader around the farm depending on motor selection.

In other words, you've got the bare chassis for a dragster, or a Indy car, or a tractor or most anything you can think of.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO