lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-26-2020, 11:43 AM   #41
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: Will low charge batteries actuate the solenoid?

You bypassed the solenoid with the big resistor coil? That's the dynamic brake solenoid. Normally if that one fails the cart will move slowly and the resistor coil will get very hot in a minute or two of driving. That one can be permanently bypassed if necessary but you lose the regen braking function, and downhill braking will be affected as well.

The solenoid on the right is the main power solenoid and has to be there. That is the main shutoff for power to the motor and controller to prevent the cart from running away if something fails.

Did you check to see that the small terminals on the right solenoid are getting negative from the controller? You said the right solenoid is not clicking, correct?

Controller and OBC are two separate things. The OBC is the On-board Charge computer. It is to the left of the controller and the main negative cable passes through it.
The OBC provides power to the solenoids as well as other parts. It can be bypassed and removed from the cart if necessary, but you then also have to replace the charger with a smart charger.
We don't know that it's actually bad yet.

It sounds to me like you just have a bad main power solenoid.
Test to make sure the solenoid is getting 48V at the small terminals, and that one side small terminal drops to 0V with the pedal pressed. The solenoid should click and you should be able to feel it click. If the voltage does not drop off on one side the controller is bad and needs to be replaced.
If voltage does drop off, and the solenoid does not click the solenoid is bad.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-26-2020, 02:00 PM   #42
FlyKrazy
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

The voltage isn't dropping off. I put a new solenoid in it for kicks
FlyKrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 03:14 PM   #43
FlyKrazy
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Looks like I need to get a controller and smart charger. Thanks so much I would have never figured it out on my own
FlyKrazy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
48v, club car ds, solenoid, troubleshooting
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car