lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-10-2020, 05:32 PM   #1
ClubCarGuy13
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default 2007 Precedent not charging to full + speed issue

Hi all, first time poster and recent frantic reader of this forum.

Got myself a 2nd hand Club Car Precedent Electric 2007 (serial starting PQ0729) from EBay here in the UK. Seller advertised as working with new batteries. Afaik and understand, everything else is stock (see photos).

I have 2 issues, pretty major... speed and battery capacity, which could be associated.

Had just done a couple of 9 holes at my local course in the buggy driving there and back which is about a 1 kilometre round trip which apart from slowness issues, went fine. Then 2 days ago after 10 holes the battery warning light came on and the buggy ran out of power so I had to abandon it on the practice range and get the greenkeepers to recover it for me! When I got it back near the club I put it on charge and noticed when I came back an hour later the charger had stopped buzzing (with no amp reading). Got it home and under the hour mark, same thing again, charger stopped. So read the manuals, forums, YouTube and concluded that the OBC and new (at least I think) batteries might not be "in sync" shall we say. That procedure worked with the battery indicator light coming on when I started it moving again. So back on charge and this time it went on for longer than 1 hour... aha thought I, fixed it. However, after roughly 4 hours it stopped again. It had also stopped at rougly hour intervals but come back on but according to the manual, this, although not exactly as described (1st & 2nd hour should have been) was normal. Put my multimeter on it and got a reading of 47.9. Took it for a spin and performance very much like before - needle for battery drops to near half way when flat out up hill and 3/4 of the way on slight decline. Stuck it back on charge and charger stops after less than an hour and now I've got a reading of 48.7. The battery indicator comes on for about 2 secs when I unplug the DC once the charger has stopped humming. Also, when the charger starts ampage is normally above 15 but then gradually comes down to 4ish.

So, batteries not getting enough juice as I'm hoping for a reading about 50.9 volts but I'm not sure how to diagnose which part(s) is at fault.
- The batteries seem a respectable brand and look new but is there a way to check the age? I am taking the sellers word (have since asked for receipt). Fluid levels are good.
- I could bypass the OBC but not sure this would 100% confirm that was at fault.
Basically, I need a start point series things to try/rule out if anyone could oblige?

Next, speed. It is painfully slow. Sets off nice and quick but then feels to pull back as soon as it gets going then I'm just plodding. My test track (around the block) which has slight incline and decline I average 7.5mph :-( Until my battery issue I was convinced the speed setting was set to 1 on the speed controller and I am in the process of finding someone with an IQDM handheld to come and program this for me (is there another way to bypass or change this other than GAMINDE SPEED CODE 5 which would take a while to arrive). The issues may be related, they may not... as it has some charge and speed is roughly the same I'd guess not? Either way, needs fixing and to be as fast as possible for me!

I've attached some pictures to give ya'll an idea. I want to get this running well so I can use for golf while I start the gradual process of upgrading and personalising but I've had a bad start, please help!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0762.jpg (210.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0752.jpg (228.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0665.jpg (207.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0667.jpg (181.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0671.jpg (173.5 KB, 0 views)
ClubCarGuy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-10-2020, 06:37 PM   #2
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

Default Re: 2007 Precedent not charging to full + speed issue

I’ll try to get you started. First put cart in Tow mode, unhook main negative battery cable for ten minutes, this will reset the OBC that controls the battery charger. Hook the cable back up and put cart back to run and try charging again. Low voltage is one of your main problems. Also sounds like you cart in in limp mode. That is when the controller only allows half speed due to a bad speed sensor or a solenoid that is stuck closed.

Check speed sensor by pushing cart with key on cart in forward or reverse, you should feel the cart try to hold back and the back up alarm should beep. If it rolls freely the speed sensor is bad. If you get beeping the solenoid is likely stuck closed.

Let us know what you find.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 08:07 PM   #3
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

I would start by replacing all of the battery interconnect cables. Especially the black wire connecting the 3rd and 4th batteries. It looks like somebody crimped that with two rocks. BTW your batteries are from July 2018.
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 02:19 AM   #4
ClubCarGuy13
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgolf View Post
Check speed sensor by pushing cart with key on cart in forward or reverse, you should feel the cart try to hold back and the back up alarm should beep. If it rolls freely the speed sensor is bad. If you get beeping the solenoid is likely stuck closed.
Good morning. So I let the cart go down my street (on & in forward) but rolling backwards - no holding back whatsoever, no noise at all. Tried again (on & reverse) rolling backwards - reverse noise was on and then turned into beeping when it got faster, again no holding back whatsoever. Assume this means a dodgy sensor? Which is recommended please and I can try get this from a UK site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgolf View Post
I’ll try to get you started. First put cart in Tow mode, unhook main negative battery cable for ten minutes, this will reset the OBC that controls the battery charger. Hook the cable back up and put cart back to run and try charging again. Low voltage is one of your main problems.
Done. Its back charging and will keep checking today to get an idea if/when it knocks off. How long am I expecting it to charge for? Voltage was 48.3 when I checked first thing this morning.

Thank you
Guy
Old 06-11-2020, 02:24 AM   #5
ClubCarGuy13
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterM6 View Post
It looks like somebody crimped that with two rocks.
I see what you mean. I'll find some new cables and replace. Is there anything to watch out for when buying these? Notice a lot of people fall into the trap of buy cheap buy twice but cables may not be branded I guess. What should I expect to pay? Recommendations welcome. I am UK based but can get stuff from the US, its just slower and more expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterM6 View Post
BTW your batteries are from July 2018.
Impressive! How do you know this?

Thank you
Guy
Old 06-11-2020, 07:33 AM   #6
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Look up Bradshaw EV . they are the main club car dealership in the UK. but sit down when you ask how much it costs! may be cheaper from the states including shipping. Where in the uk are you roughly?

Can anyone confirm if the speed sensor is the same as on a 2015 precedent? if so, I may be able to come across one.

Last edited by Cartmaster; 06-11-2020 at 07:37 AM.. Reason: Add question
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 07:37 AM   #7
ClubCarGuy13
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartmaster View Post
Look up Bradshaw EV . they are the main club car dealership in the UK. but sit down when you ask how much it costs! may be cheaper from the states including shipping. Where in the uk are you roughly?
Haha, I'm in Wetherby (North Leeds).
Old 06-11-2020, 08:23 AM   #8
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartmaster View Post
Can anyone confirm if the speed sensor is the same as on a 2015 precedent? if so, I may be able to come across one.
A 2015 would have the black AMD motor (‘top hat’ sensor), while a 2007 could have either the AMD or gray GE motor.

ClubCarGuy13, what color is your motor?
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 08:25 AM   #9
ClubCarGuy13
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakesnake27 View Post
A 2015 would have the AMD motor (black ‘top hat’ sensor), while a 2007 could have either the AMD or GE motor.

ClubCarGuy13, is your motor black or gray?
See my attached photos. I’m pretty sure it’s AMD?
Old 06-11-2020, 08:32 AM   #10
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClubCarGuy13 View Post
See my attached photos. I’m pretty sure it’s AMD?
Duh, I’m still half asleep...

Yes, you’ve got the AMD, so the sensors would interchange.
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car