lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-15-2020, 06:36 PM   #11
Kolassus
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 1996 48v Club Car Voltage on Frame

Ok. So with the Main positive of the pack disconnected and the negative probe on the frame I get the following readings. Starting with main positive post on battery 1 (positive goes straight to solenoid normally)

Battery 1
+ 0.4 - 0.0

Battery 2
+ 0.0 - -0.7

Battery 3
+ -0.7 - -1.4

Battery 4
+ -1.5 - -2.1

Battery 5
+ -2.2 - -2.7

Battery 6
+ 2.7 - - 3.2

Does this help? The only zero readings are the negative terminal of Battery 1 and the positive Terminal of Battery 2. What does this mean?
Kolassus is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-16-2020, 11:54 PM   #12
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Now i am curious. Did you just clean the batteries in situ, or remove them and clean everything around the batteries as well. As Sergio said, the electrolyte will pass voltage and it needs to be thoroughly cleaned off leaving the soda solution on for a while to let its magic work before rinsing and drying. Unless a component is leaking down such as the solenoid, OBC etc then my bet is still on electrolyte being the issue. if i see your meter readings correctly, your voltage is rising the closer you get to ground? which seems odd, but hey, we are dealing with magic here LOL.
Cartmaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 09:42 PM   #13
Kolassus
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Yea. It is weird. I just cleaned the batteries with them still in the cart. I did not remove them from the compartment. I used a heavy dose of baking soda water on the surfaces of the batteries. I’m pretty finicky about keeping the inside clean.

What really confuses me, is that I get negative readings for both the positive and negative on the batteries when touching the frame. I would think the frame would be negative and the batteries would be supplying the positive. As you said. Seems like magic.
Old 07-18-2020, 02:44 PM   #14
Budule
Gone Wild

Club Car

if you didnt pull the batteries then you only really cleaned the top.....they may have crud under them ....pull them ....it sucks i know....then if you have voltage on the frame, that would be magic!....
Budule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 12:24 PM   #15
Kolassus
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I will try removing and cleaning batteries entirely. The batteries are only about 2 months old and I have them sitting on a rubber foam mat to try and mimize dirt and mud from accumulating in the compartment. So the batteries would have had to spill a decent amount of electrolyte to allow for a math from the batteries to the frame. But it will not hurt to clean again.

One important point is that it appears that both the positive and negative are equally to the frame, since I get readings from main + to frame and from main - to frame. If only one side was grounded to frame, would t I only get readings from one post (+\-)?

If my assumption above is correct, the ground to frame would have to be where both charges connect. Which would be the controller or the solenoid, correct? Has anyone had any issues with solenoid Miura ting transferring current? Then again, the voltage is always there, even when key is off and solenoid is not engaged.

What else carries 48v on cart? Maybe it’s one of the smaller wires or the key switch itself?
Old 07-21-2020, 05:37 PM   #16
jim,s
Gone Wild
Club Car

I've had a new solenoid out of the box be bad and give pack voltage to the frame since the solenoid was mounted on the frame
jim,s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 10:25 AM   #17
Kolassus
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Did the cart still run? Did you swap solenoids?
Old 07-25-2020, 10:10 PM   #18
Kolassus
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I have a 12v reducer connected to the cart to power all my 12v accessories. Anyone know the proper wiring for it? I have the red wire on the main battery bank positive and the yellow wire of the reducer to the main battery pack negative. Should the yellow wire from the reducer be connected to the 2g yellow wire of the controller? I believe this carries a negative to the battery, correct? Could this somehow be responsible for the grounding issue?
Old 07-25-2020, 10:56 PM   #19
DanRoss
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolassus View Post
I have a 12v reducer connected to the cart to power all my 12v accessories. Anyone know the proper wiring for it? I have the red wire on the main battery bank positive and the yellow wire of the reducer to the main battery pack negative. Should the yellow wire from the reducer be connected to the 2g yellow wire of the controller? I believe this carries a negative to the battery, correct? Could this somehow be responsible for the grounding issue?
What brand of reducer? I'm still learning all this stuff myself but the ones I've seen so far the red connects to the battery pack positive and the yellow is the reduced 12v positive output. Then you will have one or two black wires that are the negative connections.
DanRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 09:47 AM   #20
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

And that raises another question. Are any of your 12 volt accessories bolted to the frame?
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grounded, voltage; frame; 48v
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car