lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-12-2020, 10:14 AM   #1
cowsgonemadd3
Not Yet Wild

Default Best controller to get for 97 36v DCS TXT?

Some of you might have seen my previous thread of on my cart not working with even after a motor upgrade. At this point I am at the stage where I need to buy a controller. I am guessing the stock controller is dead as nothing else has made the cart move.

I need something that will work with a DCS cart with upgraded motor. My motor is a D& D systems motor.

https://evdrives.com/d-d-170-501-000...ex-high-speed/

Is there a cheaper alternative to the expensive altrax controllers?

I am not interested in spending 600 on a controller if there is some alternative.

What are my options?

So far I have found this from altrax: https://evdrives.com/alltrax-xct-483...dcs-golf-cars/
cowsgonemadd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-12-2020, 10:23 AM   #2
camaroluvz28
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Best controller to get for 97 36v DCS TXT?

Your best bet is to contact ScottyB at Cartsunlimited.net ... He is in the Site Sponsors at the home page and specializes in EZ Gos and sells upgrades...He is very knowledgeable when it comes to motor/controller combinations and upgrading these carts..
camaroluvz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 10:25 AM   #3
cowsgonemadd3
Not Yet Wild

I will do that today. Thanks
Old 10-12-2020, 10:31 AM   #4
Imapled
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowsgonemadd3 View Post
Some of you might have seen my previous thread of on my cart not working with even after a motor upgrade. At this point I am at the stage where I need to buy a controller. I am guessing the stock controller is dead as nothing else has made the cart move.
Just watched your youtube...

Quote:
I need something that will work with a DCS cart with upgraded motor. My motor is a D& D systems motor.

https://evdrives.com/d-d-170-501-000...ex-high-speed/

Is there a cheaper alternative to the expensive altrax controllers?

I am not interested in spending 600 on a controller if there is some alternative.

What are my options?

So far I have found this from altrax: https://evdrives.com/alltrax-xct-483...dcs-golf-cars/
My recommendation may be a bit controversial.

See this thread where I went through as a noobie the installation of a Navitas 3.0 TSX with a 40-000540 DCS harness adapter.

https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=152026

The reason I would go with a Navitas TSX3.0 440a or 600a over an Alltrax as the motor you have from D&D has a hat-style speed sensor port and you can utilize the speed sensor on that motor. I do not believe the Alltrax DCS controller has one.

In the thread provided I put in a high-torque motor with a speed sensor and connected it to the controller.

As for "cheaper" you are going to be hard pressed to find one if you keep that DCS wire harness in the cart. With some effort you can put in a TXT48 (625805) wire harness in and then you will have options of putting in a Curtis (used) controller. You will have to adapt the ITS Molex and other plugs. You will need a new T/R switch and a new F/R switch. Its actually not "hard" to do and will give you a lot more options for controllers.

You could swap it out to a PDS harness and find a PDS controller cheap these days as lots of people are replacing them with Alltrax/Navitas/Curtis controllers. But, you will need to swap out the harness with a PDS harness.

Cheers,
Impaled
Imapled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 10:51 AM   #5
cowsgonemadd3
Not Yet Wild

What benefits would the speed sensor give me over a more "plug and play" controller like the alltrax DCS?
Old 10-12-2020, 12:38 PM   #6
Imapled
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
What benefits would the speed sensor give me over a more "plug and play" controller like the alltrax DCS?
The speed sensor is a critical part of any Shunt wound motor these days. It controls the speed of the cart. It tells the controller what RPM the motor is producing. The speed sensor signal is used to determine how much power to give the motor etc... The original DCS setup did not have a speed sensor. PDS has one and pretty much any Shunt wound setup after the 1995-2001.5 DCS setup in the EZGO lineup.

I would argue that the Navitas TSX3.0 is a much more plug and play controller over the Alltrax. I can use a core TSX3.0 controller with a number of wire harnesses and swap it into more carts without having to change the whole controller.

Navitas uses a standard core plug unit that has wire harness adapters for: TXT48, Club Car IQ, Precedent, Excel, Onward, PDS, DCS, G19/G22, G29, 1268/1520 (ITS), StarEV (1268/1520), StarEV Classic and ParCar wire harness adapters all use the same core controller. So basically, you can put that controller with a different wire harness by getting a new wire harness adapter. (The harness adapters are quite cheap by comparison of replacing the whole controller if you move it to another cart.)

Right now, on a DCS setup the controller "estimates/calculates" the RPM but, doesn't know the actual RPM of the motor. The old-style 1206SX often over heated because people would wide-open-throttle (WOT) them down hills and the controller had no idea that gravity was pulling the cart faster down the hill and over-supply amps to move the motor despite it being well past the "estimated" RPM.

With a speed sensor while going up and down hills the controller will know how much power to supply to move the motor (or not move it!) because it knows the actual RPM of the motor.

Call D&D and ask them what is better... To run that motor without the speed sensor or with it hooked up. I suspect Vic would tell you to use the speed sensor if you can. It was designed to have a speed sensor. Good idea to use it if you have it.

With the Navitas TSX3.0 with the DCS harness adapter you get the best of both worlds. You can keep your DCS harness and hook up your speed sensor. The controller will use the signal to control the motor with significantly more precision. You don't need to take your DCS harness out if you don't want.

If you are not familiar with Deutsch plugs and how to wire them (and Molex) you can order the speed sensor cable for that motor from FSIP. This wire will plug right into the speed sensor on the motor and right onto the 6 pin mini fit JR molex on the Navitas DCS harness.

https://www.shop.fsip.biz/en/product...x--221-SSCABLE

Cheers,
Impaled
Old 10-13-2020, 06:40 PM   #7
cowsgonemadd3
Not Yet Wild

I am okay with just using the speed sensor if the controller can utilize it. I checked the motor and the pigtail is there.

So I have to order that cable to use the speed sensor as it adapts to work with the other wiring adapter and new controller?

Who sells a cheap DCS adapter cable so I dont have to re-wire the whole cart?

I typed in Navitas TSX 3.0 and found several models. Some are very expensive. This one appears to be the cheapest but is it what I need for my set up with the adapter cables?
https://www.extremekartz.com/control...v-w-bluetooth/

I am guessing my solenoid won't keep up with this controller and will pop?
Old 10-14-2020, 09:12 AM   #8
Imapled
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
I am okay with just using the speed sensor if the controller can utilize it. I checked the motor and the pigtail is there.
Confirmed. I saw it in your Youtube video. It is a standard "hat style" that D&D puts on motors. It has a signal wire, + and - which all map to the Navitas harness adapter and the FSIP cable (6 pin molex to 3 pin deustch plug) will work.

Quote:
So I have to order that cable to use the speed sensor as it adapts to work with the other wiring adapter and new controller?
It all depends... if you can source the 6 pin Molex (Mini fit Jr.) they can be purchased for 1$ - 1.25$. You can clip off the the deutsch plug on the hat speed sensor and use spade connectors to wire up the three wires or you can get a deudeutschtsch plug and wire it on. I make my own cables. The easiest way to solve the problem is to order the FSIP cable but for about 8$ you can solve the problem if you know how to crimp molex adapters and deutsch plugs.

Quote:
Who sells a cheap DCS adapter cable so I dont have to re-wire the whole cart?
FSIP is the only source for the pre-built speed sensor to 6 pin molex that I have seen.

Quote:
I typed in Navitas TSX 3.0 and found several models. Some are very expensive. This one appears to be the cheapest but is it what I need for my set up with the adapter cables?
https://www.extremekartz.com/control...v-w-bluetooth/
I sent you a PM with some info.

Quote:
I am guessing my solenoid won't keep up with this controller and will pop?
With either the Alltrax or Navitas you should size a 200a or 400a solenoid no matter what. 440a Navitas would be a 200a solenoid and 600a would be a 400a solenoid as an example.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO