lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-14-2020, 07:24 AM   #1
GradyTX
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Understanding the motor

Hey guys, so I wanted to understand a little more about the motor I have vs what I may or may not need.

I have a 36v 19spleed motor, according to what the internet says.

Now, in relation to a controller, which is where I am looking, it is like everything.....”Oh, ya don’t need a Navitas....yes you do...etc” heh so...

I do not mind upgrades, but a comment was made on somethibg I saw either here or somewhere else (lost track heh)...”If you do not plan to drive over 30mph, you do not need a Navitas”....and if I do not need that, then if my old motor works, it could be fine?

The thing I am trying to understand is, reading a lot of well thought out discussions here, I noticed folks discussing the lifts, the lights, the number people, the wheels...and while my 36v 2800 rpm motor may run, if I want to upgrade anything else, it may not be able to handle all of that, nor would a stock controller.

I also started getting into how many amps. While I do not care about going over 30mph, I also do not want to go 5mph if 4 adults are on the thing.

Can anyone recommend a workhorse motor....maybe even a 36v as well as 48v that might be solid?

I do not plan to go nuts heh...well, except with maybe lights;) ....but the engine should, if I am able, handle a 4-6” lift and maybe 18-22” tires? Just whatever gives a comfortable and safe ride.

I broke the stock controller mount so, literally...the entire undercarriage is a blank canvas:P

Thanks!

Russ
GradyTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-14-2020, 03:25 PM   #2
cobra86d
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Understanding the motor

I'm new to this game also. I just bought a 96 EXGO txt 36v Series. I have been looking at the Plum Quick Bandit motor. It's a rebuild of your stock motor plus some modifications for performance for $275.00 seems reasonable and you get a rebuilt motor out of it. edit...after some review Plum Quick doesn't seem to be the go to, but for a rebuild Luna Industries or electrical motor products maybe a better solution. Do your some research but these are some options
cobra86d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 04:41 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Basically the cart is engineered for golf. You know that means short trips, 2 riders, small tires, moderate terrain. It has a 2.5 hp motor and depending upon the yr it was made 36 or 48 volts of battery.
If your use or modifications get too far away the design's intended use you will start to see failures within the drive system.
This means if the seating is doubled or the tires are big or the terrain is steep or sandy you will need to modify the drive system to meet the increased load.
This also means that if you put a big motor on an otherwise stock cart... the increase amperage draw is probably going to cause a problem down the road.

So you may need to upgrade the controller, solenoid, and cables first then the motor for the best results. In most cases the stock motor can produce more torque and speed with a bigger control.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 04:46 PM   #4
GradyTX
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Basically the cart is engineered for golf. You know that means short trips, 2 riders, small tires, moderate terrain. It has a 2.5 hp motor and depending upon the yr it was made 36 or 48 volts of battery.
If your use or modifications get too far away the design's intended use you will start to see failures within the drive system.
This means if the seating is doubled or the tires are big or the terrain is steep or sandy you will need to modify the drive system to meet the increased load.
This also means that if you put a big motor on an otherwise stock cart... the increase amperage draw is probably going to cause a problem down the road.

So you may need to upgrade the controller, solenoid, and cables first then the motor for the best results. In most cases the stock motor can produce more torque and speed with a bigger control.
Agreed, hence why I am looking at either Alltex or Navitas 400-440 for a replacement and "will" use the current motor if it works, but only till I can replace it with a nicer one.. and will go to 48v. I am told some systems allow me to still use the 36v charger on a 48v system.. again, till that rises to the top of the "wish list" heh.

All in all, it all needs to be updated to do what I want it to do, just trying to gauge which first to get it working sooner heh.

Thanks!

p.s. I appreciate the insight, Scotty. Going to be fun when it is all done;)

R
Old 12-14-2020, 06:29 PM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

If you create a demand for more amperage before you increase the supply you will have a problem. Also 36v is an obsolete operating voltage. In all cases 48v is a better operating voltage producing more torque, more speed, more efficiently. GL
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 08:35 AM   #6
GradyTX
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Agreed. Just putting together lists of possibilities, I think having the ability to be able to lock the top end speed is the key to whatever I get. It's like most things, all the features are cool.. but, after a while.. all you do is drive. The ability to lock the top end speed if the kids want to use the cart is my #1 aspect. So, the setup you emailed me looks like the one.

Changing it to electronic F/R is also something I may want to do, I like that on the dash...heh.

Lastly, a really cool paint job.. lol.....not sure what all you guys use for paint or if you take it to a place and have it done better....but most the carts look like more than spray paint.. albeit the spray on rhino liner is going to get used a lot on the frame heh

Thanks Scotty!
Old 12-15-2020, 12:16 PM   #7
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

There is no possible way your stock 36v charger can charge 48v batteries, and there are very few chargers in existence that can do both (they were specifically designed to be capable of both). There are no "tricks" to convert your 36v charger to 48v (well, one trick involving removing about $300 from your wallet).
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 12:27 PM   #8
Sideways
Gone Wild

For what it's worth, I upgraded my 1994 Ezgo Medalist from 36v to 48v with a Alltrax SR48400 controller.
I did have to buy a 48v charger however I am still running the original 36v motor.
My only issue has been the MJZ 400 solenoid, I am on my 3rd solenoid in almost 4 years.
Sideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 12:57 PM   #9
GradyTX
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideways View Post
For what it's worth, I upgraded my 1994 Ezgo Medalist from 36v to 48v with a Alltrax SR48400 controller.
I did have to buy a 48v charger however I am still running the original 36v motor.
My only issue has been the MJZ 400 solenoid, I am on my 3rd solenoid in almost 4 years.
Very good info to know, thank you!

Russ
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO